Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I've not seen anything like this myself, and the MR Forums related to Aperture 3 haven't had much traffic on this issue.

It takes 10 different instances of a problem before some sites declare it an epidemic affecting "most" users. I don't doubt that there are some people with this issue, but it certainly doesn't seem to be as wide spread as that article conveys.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I notice that Aperture, even with a new library with only 10, 10MP pictures, I use up 4-5GB worth of Swap Memory, not even in the Actual Memory. I show 492MB actual free ram thats not being used by Aperture, instead the swap is being used... It's making things come to a crawl.

I like Aperture 2 better then Aperture 3 right now, 3 is almost unusable for me. It takes a minute to apply changes when it used to take 5 seconds on the same computer.

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
It took me three attempts to finally get my 96gb library to upgrade as I kept getting the "Insufficient disk space" message.

Once I finally got upgraded I then had the issue with images "processing" which caused Aperture to crash the system about 5 times.

Finally I got the library upgraded and it's certainly worth it. The new features are awesome. Just need to find a way to stop the system running so slowly when Aperture is open then it'll be blindingly fast.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Turning off Faces seemed to solve any performance issues I had, especially when I imported about 600 pictures from a wedding reception - talk about a nightmare to analyze. And since I only knew about 5 people from it I wouldn't be able to tag anyone anyways - FEATURE CANCELLED.

I've only created new libraries thus far, two with >1000 pictures each, and Aperture is moving along just fine. Yes, I know, very very small libraries but nevertheless, I'm doing fine. Granted, I do have 10GB RAM....

I do web design (Coding, photoshop, a few browsers) and Aperture and have been up for 5 days now sitting on 13MB in my swap of 256MB, so no memory leak here.

Scorch07

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
I notice that Aperture, even with a new library with only 10, 10MP pictures, I use up 4-5GB worth of Swap Memory, not even in the Actual Memory. I show 492MB actual free ram thats not being used by Aperture, instead the swap is being used... It's making things come to a crawl.

I like Aperture 2 better then Aperture 3 right now, 3 is almost unusable for me. It takes a minute to apply changes when it used to take 5 seconds on the same computer.
That's funny, because it's the exact opposite for me. Everything is twice as fast in A3 for me. I don't know if it's the 64-bit or something else but it performs much better.

hakuryuu

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Lomita, CA
I tried out the demo and decided that at least for now it isn't going to replace Lightroom 2 or 3 for me. It wasn't nearly as responsive and I am just used to Lightroom's way of organizing edit options. I like parts of Aperture, but the thing that really killed it was how it would sit at 100% and almost lock up for a few moments when doing any sort of edit when viewing at 100%. I first noticed this when trying to adjust chromatic aberration.

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
so far the only thing i've noticed getting bigger was my aperture library of 30k grew from 18gigs to 23gigs...

so far runs faster and seems more reliable to me. Granted I'm still going through faces, since I do event photography and sports, I figured it'd be nice to give it a go, but its taking forever and a day to go through. If I only had a mac pro :rolleyes:

romanaz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
after all day processing my 30k images in faces (and still nowhere near done), this is what I see in activity monitor.

My VM size is off the charts! It was up to 160gb at one point... which is the size of my internal drive...

Even right now, after a fresh boot, running tweetie, iChat and safari I'm over 100gb of VM size..

I'm thinking I got a big memory leak in both Aperture and somewhere else now.. fun!

edit : sorry now I realize the VM size isn't the issue, its the Page In's, which is 513mb which should be using my other 2gigs of ram instead of the VM.. correct me if I'm wrong there.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-02-16 at 9.12.12 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-02-16 at 9.12.12 PM.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.