Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iByrd441

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
To all of you have have the new 2010 13 inch MBP 2.4, how does aperture run?

I have a Nikon D80 and I tend to shoot in RAW, does it process the pics slow or fast?

Any issues etc?

Please help! I am contemplating of buying my first MBP. The 15 inch i5 is currently out of my financial reach (would it be worth it?).

Do any of you have any complaints using aperture 3 with a 13 inch screen? I am not a pro-photographer, just a hobbyist. I wont be doing heavy duty editing on pics, I do a bit of HDR type photos.

GregPQ

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
Massachusetts
I'm interested in this topic, too. I've had my 13" MBP for a couple of months and am contemplating Aperture 3.

I use a Nikon D60 and have been processing RAW to a certain extent in iPhoto.

Hopefully there'll be a reply soon...

Greg

iByrd441

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
I'm interested in this topic, too. I've had my 13" MBP for a couple of months and am contemplating Aperture 3.

Greg

How do you find the screen size? Adequate? crammed?

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
To all of you have have the new 2010 13 inch MBP 2.4, how does aperture run?

I have a Nikon D80 and I tend to shoot in RAW, does it process the pics slow or fast?

Any issues etc?

Please help! I am contemplating of buying my first MBP. The 15 inch i5 is currently out of my financial reach (would it be worth it?).

Do any of you have any complaints using aperture 3 with a 13 inch screen? I am not a pro-photographer, just a hobbyist. I wont be doing heavy duty editing on pics, I do a bit of HDR type photos.

Greg

How do you find the screen size? Adequate? crammed?

I have a 2.53 C2D 13" MBP w/4GB that's about a year old and it runs Aperture 3 just fine. I though initially I would have some transition issues moving from a 15" to 13" but it suits my eye very well and I'm now used to it. I would suggest a calibration tool to adjust the monitor. I was surprised how much of a difference it makes. I shoot mostly RAW with my D700 so the files from the D60/D80 should be no problem.

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
I was curious and downloaded the A3 demo onto my C2D Macbook (2.16 with 2GB of RAM) and it was miserable on a performance basis. There have been software updates (both to OSX and to Aperture itself) that Apple claims to make Aperture run faster. However, the footprint of the program is something like half a gigabyte, so I am not sure how that is possible.

Real estate on a 13' screen is going to be an issue, but I think overtime I just got used to it. In LR, I only have one side panel open unless I am organizing, and if you want to pixel peep, it won't matter how big your screen is.

Best advice: download the trial versions. They are free for a reason, and don't restrict your usage. Your computer is probably faster than mine anyway.

GregPQ

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2010
Massachusetts
Very adequate screen real estate for me. Of course I'm coming from an Asus 10" netbook with a slow Atom processor.

The MBP has much longer battery life and an incredible display—its processor and graphics are way better than a netbook. Like going from a Yugo to the latest BMW. (I'm new to Macs, becoming a bit of a zealot).

Generally I'm very happy with the 13" size. I also have an aging 15" Toshiba, but the MBP has such a crisp and vivid display, I don't miss the extra space.

But I don't have Aperture (yet). It's been OK working with iPhoto.

Greg

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
Running the MBP in my sig and working with Nikon D80 RAW files is a breeze. I've also worked with Canon 1D MK IV RAW file and Nikon D3s 14-bit uncompressed NEFs with no problems The later actually seeming to have better performance than my D80's files even though they are 25-35mb each. Screen real-estate is okay however nothing compares to using a 24-30" screen for editing.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
FWIW I run my 13" MBP using Lightroom and it handles my D80 RAWs with ease. I don't know how the speed of LR vs Aperture is, but I would guess that they would be similar enough that you shouldn't have a problem.

I do run the majority of my photo editing on an external monitor though, I can do it with the laptop screen but I prefer the larger screen and IPS display of my external (obviously).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.