Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakealdred

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Manchester england
Hello guys! I'm an amateur photographer and I've been using Aperture 2 since its release date and I'm currently using version 2.1.4. For the last two month or so I've been unable to update my vault. The status bar when I attempt to update my vault gets to around half way and then an error message is displayed. I've attached a screen shot of what I get. I've searched this site and others and haven't found a solution but if anyone could help me resolve this problem or redirect me to another thread I'll be very grateful.

Oh and another thing is I'm willing to upgrade to Aperture 3 sometime this week and I was wondering if it's possible to import my Aperture 2 library to Aperture 3 and how I would go about doing that. Does Aperture provide step by step instructions or does it require me to import all my photos again. Again if someone could help me or redirect me I'll be pleased.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-02-14 at 18.22.49.png
    Screen shot 2010-02-14 at 18.22.49.png
    986.3 KB · Views: 212

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Re: the vault problem - have you tried creating a brand new vault? You can have multiple vaults, so you don't need to touch the "problem" one to test this. If creating a new vault leads to the same problem, then look for odd characters in your project, folder, or image names that aren't supported by the file system your vault is stored on (you don't mention if you've done anything non-kosher with regard to where your vault is located). Depending on the filesystem, that character could be a colon (":"), slash ("/"), backslash ("\"), or any number of other things.

Aperture 3 Trial can import your Aperture 2 library or vault. This means it basically copies it, upgrading the copy while it's being made, without touching your original library. The Trial version will not upgrade your library in place, because if you decide not to purchase Aperture 3 that would leave you without access to your photos.

I'm still using the Trial, so I can't speak definitively - but I doubt very much that the purchased version can't update the existing library in place. That's just fundamental, expected behavior on the part of pretty much any software.

jakealdred

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Manchester england
Thank you very much Westside guy, I created a new vault and deleted my old one and it worked! Everything updated with no problems!

And thank you for your reply concerning Aperture 3, I shall buy it this weekend!

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.