Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ted Witcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
It seems that people are having the best results when installing a fresh copy and bringing their libraries over from an external vault. I went and bought the upgrade version of A3, but now I think I've made a mistake: before I open the box, can someone tell me if the "upgrade version" is merely a complete copy of the app that looks for an existing serial number, or whether it is, in fact, a different version that rewrites A2 -- which I'm not sure I want. I went with the box only because it contains the sample images and the download version does not; I'm willing to return this and get the download version if it is the only way for a clean install. Thanks.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Executive summary: My experience indicates they should be able to coexist.

Longer explanation:

I was trialing Aperture 3 for a while, so I didn't upgrade my existing library - I created the v3 library from the vault. However when I decided to upgrade I completely removed that trial version of Aperture (by looking at the "Files" listing in the installer and deleting everything listed), then installed from a retail box - so that's the version I'm running, not the download.

For the moment I have separate libraries named "Aperture 2 Library" and "Aperture 3 Library", and separate apps "Aperture 2" and Aperture (which is version 3). Both versions of Aperture seem to launch and run just fine. When I launched Aperture 2, I did get a registration reminder, which is a bit odd; but after I clicked "Later" the app ran just fine.

Note that because of how library management has changed, once you've run Aperture 2 its library is considered the default - so if you then launch the Aperture 3 app, you'll get a warning about needing to upgrade the library. Fortunately you can quit without doing anything (so the v2 library won't be touched); but you'll need to select and launch v3 by selecting the v3 library that first time after running v2. Aperture 3 will remember this choice in the future, at least until you've run Aperture 2 again.

Ted Witcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
Okay, you seem to have proven my theory. So once more to recap: if I install from a box ("upgrade version"), this is, in fact, a complete version of the program. I can then build a library from a vault and have everything work fine, no issues that many others are reporting. You have chosen to keep A2; I'll be removing it, which would mean our systems/install methods are identical when you and I open A3. You're having no issues, and hopefully neither should I.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Yes, I expect that will work. If you rename and set aside your Aperture 2 library, so Aperture 3 doesn't upgrade it, that'll give you extra insurance. You can always delete that copy once you know everything has gone smoothly upgrade-wise.

BTW I intend to remove Aperture 2 and the older library once I'm comfortable there are no surprises with Aperture 3 or its library.

Ted Witcher

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
Everything went fine -- this is a slightly unrelated question. I now have, in my library pane/panel, a folder which says "Aperture 2," and my various projects are nested within that folder. Is there a way to remove the folder designation and just have the projects sit within Aperture's projects list like normal? I thought about simply dragging all the projects, which works, but I stopped because I thought if I deleted the (then) empty "Aperture 2" folder, it would somehow find the projects above it and delete them as well. Any thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.