Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clark Kent

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
I am running Aperture 3.0.3 with OS 10.6.4 so everything is as up-to-date as can be. I upgraded from Aperture 2 within a week of Aperture 3 being released and all my RAW files were updated in the process. Since then, I have added several thousand more pictures directly into whatever the latest version of Aperture was at that time. My RAW files are all from a Nikon D40.

The last time I used Aperture (about a week ago) everything was normal, but today the program suddenly tells me this about all my RAW files: "This photo was adjusted using an earlier version of Apple's RAW processing"

Obviously this should be impossible for the several thousand of pictures that have only existed within Aperture 3 as they would have been automatically processed using the latest version. However, if I filter pictures by which RAW processor was used for decoding, every RAW file except the 6 new files I just imported to check (they correctly show RAW Decoding 3.0) shows that it was decoded with RAW Decoding 2.0.

If I push the reprocess button, my photos change slightly, becoming a little brighter, a little warmer, with a touch more saturation. I exported some JPEGs to compare to pictures I have outside Aperture and there is a definite (but subtle) change after reprocessing compared to my original edits done in Aperture 3. All quickbrush adjustments are available for all RAW files as well, which I thought was only possible if the file was updated to the latest processing...but I'm not sure about that.

I restored my library from a vault (updated about 1 week ago, unsure if before/after this issue began) and I get the same message. The only change I've made recently has been installing the Camera RAW update that came about in the past few weeks. Is it possible that made this suddenly start happening?

Of course I want to have the latest RAW decoding for my files, but I'm concerned that pictures I edited and exported months ago appear to have a different version of RAW processing than Aperture now wants to give my files. Anyone with a clue of what's going on or what I can do to troubleshoot this issue.

Clark Kent

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
Can someone with Nikon D40 RAW files in Aperture (3.03 on OS 10.6.4 with RAW Compatibility Update 3.3) check and see if their D40 files are given the option to reprocess to the latest version at the top of the Adjustment pane?

Thanks!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Anyone with a clue of what's going on or what I can do to troubleshoot this issue.

There's nothing to troubleshoot. Apple changed things from Aperture 2 to 3 and you'll need to reprocess your images to use the new features. The D40 isn't specifically listed in Apple's documentation as suffering from exposure changes with updated processing but it sounds likely that most, if not all, cameras do have the issue. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3946

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Ditto. As far as I understand you, everything works as expected: you need to reprocess to be able to use Aperture 3's new features. I also learned that after fifteen minutes of head scratching ;)

Clark Kent

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
There's nothing to troubleshoot. Apple changed things from Aperture 2 to 3 and you'll need to reprocess your images to use the new features. The D40 isn't specifically listed in Apple's documentation as suffering from exposure changes with updated processing but it sounds likely that most, if not all, cameras do have the issue. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3946

You must have misread what I wrote.

I have been using Aperture 3 since it was released and my entire library was upgraded and reprocessed from the beginning. Since then, I have imported thousands of RAW files into Aperture 3 and edited them. These have all been using the latest version of the processing.

This message appeared within the last week suddenly, after never being there. For example, I am told I need to reprocess RAW files that were shot and imported into Aperture 3 on 08/01. These files never existed within any program other than Aperture 3. The message wasn't there when I imported them. And all new features of Aperture 3 are available on RAW files that are said to need reprocessing....

That's why I'm trying to find out if this is a bug or related to the recent Camera Raw Compatibility 3.3 update (the only change I've made to the program recently).

So again, anyone with D40 RAW files in Aperture that can check if they are getting this message?

timbos

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
I get that too...

I've got the same version of Aperture and OS X as you and a Nikon D40. I too get the button at the top of the adjustments tab stating that the photo was imported with an earlier version of Apple RAW and needs to be reprocessed. FWIW, I've only ever had Aperture 3, never any of the earlier versions.
It must be the update, which I installed earlier today.

Clark Kent

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
I've got the same version of Aperture and OS X as you and a Nikon D40. I too get the button at the top of the adjustments tab stating that the photo was imported with an earlier version of Apple RAW and needs to be reprocessed. FWIW, I've only ever had Aperture 3, never any of the earlier versions.
It must be the update, which I installed earlier today.

Thanks. I guess there was a change in default D40 RAW processing with the latest Camera RAW update. Since Aperture can only list the processing by version 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0, that's why it shows at 2.0 when it. It would be more accurate to say the RAW was processed with 3.0 and the reprocessing would be 3.1.

It sure would be nice if Apple included this kind of information in the software update rather than just listing new cameras being supported.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I noticed same with my Canon T1i images immediately after the update.

Since I went from iPhoto9 to Aperture 3 directly I'm also confused why I need to re-process all my images.....what am I missing here??
Yes, I did choose to upgrade my iPhoto9 to Aperture3 into new library when doing the massive 212GB import 8 weeks ago.

I've done the reprocess on select images only
To reprocess individual photos using the updated RAW processing, simply click the Reprocess button in the Adjustments panel, or:
  1. Select one or more photos in the browser.
  2. Choose Photos > Reprocess Master.
    HT3946-6.png

I have not tried re-processing complete projects (yet), I'm leery of mass processing these changes.
To reprocess all the photos in a project:
  1. Control-click the project in the Library panel.
  2. Choose Reprocess Masters.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I noticed same with my Canon T1i images immediately after the update.

Since I went from iPhoto9 to Aperture 3 directly I'm also confused why I need to re-process all my images.....what am I missing here??
You're missing that this is the expected behavior: if you're reprocessing your file, the result will look different from before. Professionals do not want that Aperture reprocesses files automatically since then the result will look different from before. All the edits that may have been done to an image may become meaningless and countless hours lost.

If you want to take advantage of Aperture, you need to reprocess the images. Then you indicate to Aperture that you don't mind the changed appearance.

Clark Kent

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
If you want to take advantage of Aperture, you need to reprocess the images. Then you indicate to Aperture that you don't mind the changed appearance.

This statement isn't exactly true in this case. When upgrading from an older version of Aperture (1.x, 2.x), the processing that goes on in Aperture is necessary to take advantage of all the features of the program.

Apparently the 3.3 RAW update changed how Apple handles processing for many older cameras...no editing options become unavailable in Aperture if reprocessing is not done. For pictures that are edited to satisfaction, reprocessing is pointless and a waste of time. For new imported RAW images, it just provides a different starting point for editing.

Some cameras seem to have severe color issues (turing green, etc.) while others, like the Nikon D40 (at least in my case) actually makes a slightly nicer looking conversion. But it would have been nice not to have this happen unexpectedly and unannounced. Then I wouldn't have wasted several hours trying to figure out if it's a bug before spending another hour or two experimenting with the changes to adapt it to my workflow.

Not cool for a "professional" level of software.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
This statement isn't exactly true in this case. When upgrading from an older version of Aperture (1.x, 2.x), the processing that goes on in Aperture is necessary to take advantage of all the features of the program.
This doesn't contradict anything I'm saying, quite the contrary: in order to take advantage of the features of the new RAW engine, you have to actually render your images with the new RAW engine.

Apple has wisely decided not to reprocess old images by default.
Apparently the 3.3 RAW update changed how Apple handles processing for many older cameras...no editing options become unavailable in Aperture if reprocessing is not done.
I get all the editing options that were available with the old RAW converter and some of the new ones (curves, for instance). FYI, I have a D80 which uses the same sensor as the D40. I cannot imagine pictures shot with the D40 handle any differently.
For pictures that are edited to satisfaction, reprocessing is pointless and a waste of time. For new imported RAW images, it just provides a different starting point for editing.
Newly imported images use the new RAW converter by default. I'm not sure what you're saying here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.