Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.mark.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2007
Jersey, C.I.
Hi, I have currently discovered aperture and love the control it gives you over processing images. Before I found aperture I used iPhoto basically to look through my photos and keep them organised - its really good looking and easy to use to browse photos.

So my problem... I want to be able to edit images using aperture but view these in iphoto. I thought about this solution:
1) Import photos from camera into aperture
2) edit them
3) import them into iPhoto via "Show aperture library"

will this duplicate the photos? i.e. will i then have a copy in the aperture library and a copy in the iphoto library? This is obviously far from optimal. I have considered just using aperture but for showing people images, casually browsing and also support with front row (which i don't think aperture has) iphoto wins! Ideally I want to ask iphoto to dive into the aperture library and display the images directly from there but i don't know if this is possible??

Can anyone help?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
You must be the first person to want to do this. I think Aperture is a better organizer than iPhoto. Also there are MUCH better image editors than Aperture. Aperure only does the most basic type of edits.

.mark.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2007
Jersey, C.I.
You must be the first person to want to do this.
there's gotta be a first for everything!!

I think Aperture is a better organizer than iPhoto.

As I said i'm new to aperture so could you expand on it being "better" for organising photos? the appeal of iPhoto to me is the user friendly front end such as the events etc... and also the front row integration (stil not sure if aperture has this).

Also there are MUCH better image editors than Aperture. Aperure only does the most basic type of edits.

Do you mean programs such as photoshop? I have photoshop on order from adobe. I had the intention of using photoshop as an external editor from aperture for more adventurous edits. If not can you tell me which programs.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I don't believe it'll give you two of the same image if you put photos into iPhoto through the "From Aperture" menu. It's referencing the previews from within Aperture.

What I don't think it does however, is reflect any more edits done on the photo without a reimport.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.