Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
I have Aperture 2.0 and I like to start using it to edit my photos. But I don't want to have multiple copies of stuff. Is there a way just to edit your pictures within your iPhoto library with aperture without doing an import/export?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have Aperture 2.0 and I like to start using it to edit my photos. But I don't want to have multiple copies of stuff. Is there a way just to edit your pictures within your iPhoto library with aperture without doing an import/export?

So you want to keep both iPhoto and Aperture? Why keep iPhoto? Aperture has a feature where it can import an entire iPhoto library. Do that then you can trash both the iPhoto app and the iPhoto library. Aperture Libraries are better and more flexible and ou have the vault feature. If you have to choose one library or the other I'd go for the Aperture format library.

All that said, I'm pretty sure Apertur can browse into an iPhoto library. The Apple web site has a video tutorial on how to use both iPhoto and Aperture together and share libraries. Sorry I don't have a link. It's a pretty good video that directly address your question

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
So basically I am kind of "scared" of Aperture I just like the whole Events and interface of iPhoto, and feel like Aperture will take that away. I do however want the power of being able to vault and adjust my pics more. I did watch the video on the apple site but like I said I just don't want to have doubles of everything. Not that I am hurting for HD space I'm just a neat freak like that when it comes to my comp.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
So you want to keep both iPhoto and Aperture? Why keep iPhoto? Aperture has a feature where it can import an entire iPhoto library. Do that then you can trash both the iPhoto app and the iPhoto library. Aperture Libraries are better and more flexible and ou have the vault feature. If you have to choose one library or the other I'd go for the Aperture format library.

All that said, I'm pretty sure Apertur can browse into an iPhoto library. The Apple web site has a video tutorial on how to use both iPhoto and Aperture together and share libraries. Sorry I don't have a link. It's a pretty good video that directly address your question

So basically I am kind of "scared" of Aperture I just like the whole Events and interface of iPhoto, and feel like Aperture will take that away. I do however want the power of being able to vault and adjust my pics more. I did watch the video on the apple site but like I said I just don't want to have doubles of everything. Not that I am hurting for HD space I'm just a neat freak like that when it comes to my comp.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

I think you're really going to have to suck it up as far as having doubles or just move to aperture completely. I don't think you'll find another way. ChrisA explained it quite simply.

Jan 30, 2006
I think you're really going to have to suck it up as far as having doubles or just move to aperture completely. I don't think you'll find another way. ChrisA explained it quite simply.

I agree, using iPhoto and Aperture at the same time isn't ideal. Besides, once you grasp how Aperture works, it becomes much better for organization of photos, especially if you have large libraries.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
When I attended the Aperture session at MWSF it seems to me they mentioned this topic. Something along the line of Aperture can temporarily access a RAW file while leaving it in place. Sorry I can't recall the details. I've just installed Aperture a week ago and am just getting my feet wet with it. So far I love it. Give it a shot.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
is there a way to tell Aperture to delete duplicates? I recently migrated to Aperture 2 from iPhoto, and used "import iPhoto library" on startup to move my photos. I checked the "do not import duplicates" box, but I still have hundreds of duplicates where iPhoto saved the original and rotated versions of photos..

Also I must say that so far I am unimpressed with the speed of the program. I think maybe it's still indexing all my thumbnails, but even iPhoto was faster than this (so far) and I didn't have to pay $200 for it.
Will it get faster?
(I also ordered more RAM to upgrade from 2GB to 4GB, will that help?)

Nikonis

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
I agree - I am facing similar duplication issues. I have not found much on Aperture dealing with duplication issues - there are several tricks to get dupes back out once they are in - but keeping them out during import is not easy

I want to get out of iPhoto but exporting 15,000 images on to my hard disk and importing them back into Aperture sounds painful - I did a direct import and it took a day to complete - with my "top of the line" iMac...

I find Aperture to be a memory hog and slow as the dickens when it comes to applying any change to my library - even an library wide autostack causes my MacBook Pro to hang for an hour.....

Anybody see a good thread on this topic? The genius bar is a misnomer when it comes to Aperture internals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.