Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boogieman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
My wife recently purchased Aperture after using Iphoto over the last few years. Aperture allows her to fully fine tune photos but I have ran into a few problems with aperture. First when she adds new folers to her iphoto and then goes to aperture to import the new photos from iphoto it imports all folders again! I then have to delete the duplicates. Secondly once she has edited here photos in aperture there is no way that I have found on support or anyweb site to burn them to dvd or cd. This u can easily do in iphoto but it is a pain to move each and every file into iphoto again. Is there a easier way to do this as in have the two share the same pictures like once I import them into Iphoto just go over into aperture and they are there? I am at my end on trying to figure this out! Any help would be greatly appreciated! I just want the two to work in harmony so that I dont have to move and paste images all the time. The two main things she didnt like in aperture was mainly you cant burn folders to a disc(unless I am missing this and her too) and also adding the halo effect and white cutouts(ETC ETC) around images.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Instead of trying to use the two in harmony, why not dump iPhoto and completely use Aperture? After all, it was my impression that Aperture was the professional replacement of iPhoto.

boogieman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
EricNau said:
Instead of trying to use the two in harmony, why not dump iPhoto and completely use Aperture? After all, it was my impression that Aperture was the professional replacement of iPhoto.

From everything I have found and what not I cannot nor she can burn a particular folder of photos to a disc. Like she has went back in aperture and redone our wedding photos and now we cannot burn them to a disc like we could in iphoto.

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
With Aperture 1.5 you have direct access to the Aperture library from the iLife and iWork applications.

In iPhoto go to File>Show Aperture Library and you can work on or burn all your images to a CD/DVD. You can do the same from within iDVD as well.

You do not have to copy and paste any images! Just keep them in your Aperture library and thats it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
My wife recently purchased Aperture after using Iphoto over the last few years. Aperture allows her to fully fine tune photos but I have ran into a few problems with aperture. First when she adds new folers to her iphoto and then goes to aperture to import the new photos from iphoto it imports all folders again! I then have to delete the duplicates. Secondly once she has edited here photos in aperture there is no way that I have found on support or anyweb site to burn them to dvd or cd. This u can easily do in iphoto but it is a pain to move each and every file into iphoto again. Is there a easier way to do this as in have the two share the same pictures like once I import them into Iphoto just go over into aperture and they are there? I am at my end on trying to figure this out! Any help would be greatly appreciated! I just want the two to work in harmony so that I dont have to move and paste images all the time. The two main things she didnt like in aperture was mainly you cant burn folders to a disc(unless I am missing this and her too) and also adding the halo effect and white cutouts(ETC ETC) around images.

I would just switch over to Aperture completely. It is pretty easy to burn photos to disc, make backups and soon in Aperture but the details of how I'd do that deped of the purpose. Are you wanting to giv the photos away or make a backup?

Are you shotting raw format? If you like iPhoto but just want better editing get Adobe Elements 6.0

Finally if you must...
Apple has a video tutorial on how to use iPhoto and Aperture together.
http://www.apple.com/aperture/tutorials/#organizeimport-importiphoto

AxisOfBeagles

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
Top of the South
Are you shotting raw format? If you like iPhoto but just want better editing get Adobe Elements 6.0

Ditto that. I find iPhoto 08 to be an excellent library manager, and fine for nominal enhancements - but for more powerful editing I use Elements. Used CS2 for a long time, but find that Elements can handle 90+% of anything I need to do - and the new Elements moves that up to 100%.

sdsviet

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Chicago
sorry to jump in on this thread but its seems appropriate to ask here. i am planning to use iphoto and aperture for all my photo work. right now i have about 11gbs of jpegs from my point&shoot and planning to get a dslr for raw shots. what's the best method at starting up a library and managing all my photos. i think iphoto is great to just do quick adjustments with my jpegs i already have and that aperture is later for the raw images i will be taking. are there any other conflicts between using the two program and sharing one library as the OP here has mentioned?

ok i just saw the tutorial and it looks like they are using home/personal shoots for iphoto and more professional stuff for aperture. so is it better to say have your home/personal photos manage by iphoto and your profressional/work photos in aperture? will there be conflicts like with importing and sharing between the two librarys especially with having duplicates and stuff?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
ok i just saw the tutorial and it looks like they are using home/personal shoots for iphoto and more professional stuff for aperture. so is it better to say have your home/personal photos manage by iphoto and your profressional/work photos in aperture? will there be conflicts like with importing and sharing between the two librarys especially with having duplicates and stuff?

Yes you can use them both but it's just more work. I'd just stick with one of them. iPhoto can handle RAW images just fine. Use Aperture if you want finer level of control.

sdsviet

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Chicago
ok so if i decide to use aperture for the library and i want to use iphoto to say quick view like events and stuff. can iphoto like use the aperture library and create like ghost events just for viewing sake. what i mean is that i like the way iphoto make events and the viewing options so when i say ghost i mean like a temp version of it on iphoto without actually making duplicates into its own library. sorry if its a little confusing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.