Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
So I've graduated from iPhoto to Aperture 3 now. Aperture seems to be iPhoto on steroids, but still pretty easy to use, save a few technical things I still have to get the hang of. Apple even encourages the move to Aperture, and after three years of using iPhoto and some editing software I'm ready to *really* make my photos look good. I love the retouch and skin smoothing tools. Making older relatives look twenty years younger and making it look natural is an absolute blast at family get-togethers! It's as if these tools were designed with skin/facial correction in mind. :D

Questions:

• I've followed Apple's instructions on how to consolidate my iPhoto Library with Aperture. All good. Except when I open iPhoto it still has all my photos, but there is no longer an "iPhoto Library" in my Pictures folder. How do I cut iPhoto out of the equation? I no longer want to use it, nor do I want my photos lingering around in there, though I don't want to delete the application.
  • How do I do a mass-erase of all the original (earliest) version of photos in Aperture? Or at least see only the newest version in the thumbnail previews?

Thanks!

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
There was just another thread about this, so it's fresh on my mind.

First of all, how did you import your iPhoto library into Aperture? Did you choose to store the files in Aperture or in their current location. Also, did you select "Move files" or "Copy files"? If you selected move and store in Aperture Library then I think it moved your iPhoto library into your Aperture library which is why it's missing from your picture folder and why iPhoto can still access your photos.

As for your second question, I'm not quite sure what you mean.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Sorry for the late reply.

Don't worry about the second part, I've got that figured out.

I selected "Move" files.

In other words, I want everything to be in Aperture and nothing in iPhoto. So, I don't want iPhoto showing any more of my photos.

I followed Apple's advice here:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/iphoto-to-aperture/how.html

Two things I noticed after this:

1) iPhoto still shows my photos, though it does not show any new ones that I imported into Aperture.

2) There is no longer any "iPhoto Library" file in my Pictures folder.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Problem solved. I just deleted all the photos and events in iPhoto. Seems an obvious solution, but when it comes to stuff like photos I'm always worried.

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
Yeah, that's the solution. Aperture won't actually tough your iPhoto library just to be safe so you either have to remove the photos from iPhoto after or delete the library. Good luck with Aperture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.