Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
I am trying to export all my aperture files (master with xmp sidecar) in order to import into Lightroom.

I am doing this by going to library, all images and the command-A to select all (about 23,000 in this library). I then go to export, and export with xmp sidecar into an empty directory.

The export will proceed until around 11,000 files or so, and then it crashes and aperture closes. this happens over and over again.

I've rebuilt the aperture database and it doesn't help.

Any suggestions?

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
It is likely running out of space, from what I could work out while I was using Aperture it would process all files in the export and then do the export itself. I'd suggest doing it in smaller batches.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
You mean memory like in RAM memory?

I guess that would make sense to me now - one of the reasons I'm switching away from Aperture is that during large import sessions (8+GB) Aperture will run up HUGE amounts of swap useage almost like it's trying to import everything into RAM first and then do a huge disk write at the end.

I know I have enough disk space available.

I guess I'll try to do projects - I hate to have to do them individually however (!) - will take much longer and I might miss some by accident.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
All I know was when I was trying to do large-ish exports to Flickr and the like with my Aperture library on an external drive it would very quickly use up the modest disk space I had on my internal Macbook Pro drive, am not sure what it was doing with all that space during the export but it was rather annoying!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.