Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Hi,

I have a set of 23 pics that are duplicated. One is in an album and the same set but duplicated in another. However when I got to delete them I get a message warning about master files, then I press delete the following message appears

'Some versions based on these master files are included in albums outside the project.

These versions will be removed from all Albums, Books, Light Tables, Web Pages, Web Journals, and MobileMe Albums'.

When I confirm this it deletes both sets of pics, but I only want to delete one! How do I delete one set?? And why is it doing this?

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
Hi,

I have a set of 23 pics that are duplicated. One is in an album and the same set but duplicated in another. However when I got to delete them I get a message warning about master files, then I press delete the following message appears

'Some versions based on these master files are included in albums outside the project.

These versions will be removed from all Albums, Books, Light Tables, Web Pages, Web Journals, and MobileMe Albums'.

When I confirm this it deletes both sets of pics, but I only want to delete one! How do I delete one set?? And why is it doing this?

Make sure you delete the "version", not the "master". The copies in other albums will still be there.

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Sorry, I'm a noob to aperture.

What I mean is I've imported pic's from my canon 30D. They've all been imported in to one big project. When I create a new album and try and drag a selection of photos to that new album it duplicates the photos and doesn't transfer them. It only lets me delete the duplicates but I don't want two copies of the same photo in an album and the other in a project.

Thanks

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Sorry, I'm a noob to aperture.

What I mean is I've imported pic's from my canon 30D. They've all been imported in to one big project. When I create a new album and try and drag a selection of photos to that new album it duplicates the photos and doesn't transfer them. It only lets me delete the duplicates but I don't want two copies of the same photo in an album and the other in a project.

Thanks

Aperture has some idiosyncracies in the way it deals with masters. If you have subfolders within a project and move those to other projects, you are actually just moving the versions. To move masters, you must select them from the root project folder. Also, when deleting versions, I have had better luck with list view than grid view (it wants to delete my masters too when I am in grid view).

EDIT: Search for threads (or other websites) that show how people organized their Aperture libraries. It is important to get a system. Another point that is not immediately obvious is that there are two kinds of folders. Yellow folders hold projects (with masters and versions in them), blue folders exist within a project and only hold versions. It sounds like you have one project with version folders in it, so while you are trying to grab a set of masters, you are just getting versions.

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
I'm just struggling to understand how it manages files. I import off my camera and then try and move master files to an album instead of a project and it just duplicates them instead of moving them.

Or does aperture have to have the masters in the project and then any photos used in albums or smart albums do they have to be duplicates?

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
I'm just struggling to understand how it manages files. I import off my camera and then try and move master files to an album instead of a project and it just duplicates them instead of moving them.

Or does aperture have to have the masters in the project and then any photos used in albums or smart albums do they have to be duplicates?

They have to be in a project somewhere first. Then, you can take the versions and put them wherever you want. I had trouble with this the first time I got Aperture as well. After searching for good methods on designing an Aperture structure, I feel pretty good with what I have.

For example: I do 'New Folder' and name it --->'New Project' and name it. The first New Folder is year, so 2009. Projects can be whatever but I also do a sub-folder for stuff like 'Places' and then put projects in there. So, I'll have '2009' ---> 'Places' ---> 'San Francisco.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Thanks for your help guys, I'll have a play and see what happens.

The way Aperture works is that it keeps only one copy of the image on the disk. When you add the image to a folder or album, the image is not added to album. The album only contains a reference to the filename. If you look an album is just a short text file and every image in the album is just a few lines of text that point to the "real" image file and list all the edits you have made to each image.

The "edit list" is what Aperture calls a "version". It is just a text file that describe every adjustment you have made. The image file itself, the thing you downloaded from the camera is called a "master". A master is never changed.

So if you deleted the master, then every text file that references that master becomes invalid. But if you delete one if the text files (aka "versions") none of the other text files nor the master are effected.

It is really not all that complex.

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
The way Aperture works is that it keeps only one copy of the image on the disk. When you add the image to a folder or album, the image is not added to album. The album only contains a reference to the filename. If you look an album is just a short text file and every image in the album is just a few lines of text that point to the "real" image file and list all the edits you have made to each image.

The "edit list" is what Aperture calls a "version". It is just a text file that describe every adjustment you have made. The image file itself, the thing you downloaded from the camera is called a "master". A master is never changed.

So if you deleted the master, then every text file that references that master becomes invalid. But if you delete one if the text files (aka "versions") none of the other text files nor the master are effected.

It is really not all that complex.

Thats a great help also, thanks. So even though I may have the same picture in multiple albums, I'll only really have one actual copy in my aperture library and the other 'duplicates' are just sort of references to the original??

One last question, how does everyone one general manage this? I mean do you put all your masters in a 'project' and then create albums relevant to that i.e. Project name = Bob's Wedding and then Album name = ceremony another album name = reception?

Have I got the right idea?

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Anyone? Sorry I just want to make sure I'm on the right lines before I mess it up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.