Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdpilkington

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2006
I'm sure this gets asked alot, so sorry if this is just flooding the forums!

I've been looking into getting Aperture for a month or two now, still trying to work out if it'll be overkill for my needs. I'd classify myself as a prosumer; I took photography for A-level, and try and do a lot of it. Previously I was using a Fuji s7000 rather than a full dSLR, and at the moment am left with a very consumery fuji Z1, but I'm aiming to have enough saved up for a Nikon d50 by christmas.
I've used RAW format before, and would definitley be trying to shoot in RAW+JPEG as often as possible. Even without RAW I quite often edit levels, saturation and colour balances, and just having using the trial of aperture I'd like the option of editing exposure/white balance for some photos.

So, considering I'd be using aperture with the RAW format, a nikon d50 and probably using it for projects frequently though not on a daily basis would you say I'm going to need the software? I can get it at a nice educational discount at £90 ($170) which is another factor.
thanks,

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
Download Adobe's free Lightroom beta, see if you use it instead of using your normal photo editing software. Aperture is basically the same thing. If you use Lightroom and would rather have Aperture...buy it. If not, don't.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Download Adobe's free Lightroom beta, see if you use it instead of using your normal photo editing software. Aperture is basically the same thing. If you use Lightroom and would rather have Aperture...buy it. If not, don't.

Or download Apple's free 30-day Aperture trial and see if you like it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.