Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMojoRising

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I love Aperture for image editing but I'm frustrated with its file management system. Specifically, I need to move the versions and masters from two folders into a single folder. I cannot believe that there is no way to do this, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out. Can someone offer some advice? Thanks in advance.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
What you say doesn't quite make sense yet: are you talking about the physical location of the files as in the Finder or about the way they are represented inside Aperture?

Outside of Aperture, versions always reside in the Aperture library and moving the version's files (small files) corrupts Aperture's library. If you're talking about inside of Aperture, I still don't understand what the problem is?

Master files always have to reside in one Project (≠ folder), but they can belong to multiple albums, web galleries, books, etc. Perhaps you're just trying to move image files to a folder -- which always fails, because it doesn't work like that.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I love Aperture for image editing but I'm frustrated with its file management system. Specifically, I need to move the versions and masters from two folders into a single folder. I cannot believe that there is no way to do this, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out. Can someone offer some advice? Thanks in advance.

Maybe what you don't know is that inside Aperture files can exist at the same time in multiple locations. Make a new folder, or album and then put the files you want there. They can remain in their original locations as well. The file will only exist physically on the disk once but can appear in many different place within Aperture.

I think this is the best point about Aperture and iPhoto, that you don't have to decide on just one organization, you can have as many as you like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.