Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Okay, so I imported all my photos from Finder in to Aperture, keeping the same folder structure - ie I had about 30 separate folders (photos of different people, events, etc) in 'My Photos', which I created in Finder.

So now they're all in Aperture (ie those little blue folder thingies). Now I want to create subfolders within each folder - eg main folder called Paul, subfolder called Paul's wedding, Paul's birthday, etc, etc.

What do I need to do? I'm still hopelessly confused about the difference between albums, projects, etc - am I going about this the right way?

Thanks.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Okay, so I imported all my photos from Finder in to Aperture, keeping the same folder structure - ie I had about 30 separate folders (photos of different people, events, etc) in 'My Photos', which I created in Finder.

So now they're all in Aperture (ie those little blue folder thingies). Now I want to create subfolders within each folder - eg main folder called Paul, subfolder called Paul's wedding, Paul's birthday, etc, etc.

What do I need to do? I'm still hopelessly confused about the difference between albums, projects, etc - am I going about this the right way?

Thanks.

the manual is always a good place to start.
To make a subfolder simply select the parent folder then click new folder.
A project is the folder that contains all of your images from that project (somewhat like an Album). An album can contain images from many different projects, as can smart albums. Blue folders are a part of the overall file structure and brown/manilla folders are subfolders under a project.

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
the manual is always a good place to start.
To make a subfolder simply select the parent folder then click new folder.

Thanks Jimmy, but that's not working for me. All that does is create a new folder within 'My Photos' (as imported from Finder), I want to create a subfolder within a folder, if you know what I mean.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Thanks Jimmy, but that's not working for me. All that does is create a new folder within 'My Photos' (as imported from Finder), I want to create a subfolder within a folder, if you know what I mean.

then drag the folder into the folder you want... blue folders cannot be dragged into projects however. brown folders cannot be dragged out of projects, if you want a subfolder you can either highlight the folder you want to be the parent folder, then press new folder. Or you can make a folder and drag it into the folder you want to be the parent folder.

scotthornsby

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2009
Subfolders and Masters Versus Versions

I'm trying to organize my photos in Aperture also. Being able to organize them with folders and subfolders was the primary reason I bought it since, with iPhoto, you can only organize photos with events. However, I'm also finding that I'm unable to do this very thing and when I try to drag and drop them as Jimmy suggested, that doesn't work either. The folder just snaps back to its original location. I decided to just use Finder to create folders and subfolders and just use it but I don't see how to create subfolders in Finder either. I hope that mine is just a nube issue that's easily corrected but I have to admit to being a little frustrated that it's not more intuitive. Can anyone tell me how to create subfolders in Aperture and/or Finder?

Also, I'm completely baffled by the "master" and "versions" concept. I've imported a bunch of photos into Aperture and now want to split them up and organize them but it seems that, once a master is in a Project, it's there to stay and cannot be moved. Again, I bet one of you more knowledgeable fellows can do this easily so I hope you can explain it to me. When I try to "relocate masters", it wants to put it in a folder in Finder. Ugh.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.