Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
While playing around with this one image today I got a black box in the top half of the image. It only happened when I changed the highlight OR shadow. I would make a change, the black box would appear. Then I'd undo the change and it would disappear. Redoing the change didn't always recreate the problem. I was editing a NEF file and hadn't done any other changes to the image. I've attached images of what it looks like along with images of when it doesn't but the same settings are used.

Restarting Aperture usually fixes it but some times I have to do it a few times. Any ideas what the cause it? Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    368.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    384.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    595.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    519.9 KB · Views: 77

steeveage

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2004
Redwood City, CA
I've run into a similar issue where the whole photo goes black. I ended up having a bad hard drive that was dying a slow death, and my disk access times were getting progressively worse. After swapping the drive, this problem went away.

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I've run into a similar issue where the whole photo goes black. I ended up having a bad hard drive that was dying a slow death, and my disk access times were getting progressively worse. After swapping the drive, this problem went away.
Great. I hope thats a worst case scenario as a few of the images were going black. Editing images can be a little so with lag between a change being made and it appearing. Glad I just bought a back-up drive.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
This has happened to me too on many occasions. I use Aperture heavily, so that's probably why I've encountered it a lot. I'm pretty sure it's a bug in the program that occurs with RAW files only. Relaunching Aperture usually solves the problem. I think I may have had to reimport the photo in one instance. I've had the problem with a variety of drives, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.