Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Hi guys,

Sorry for the noob question but I have just started to use Aperture. When I import photos, will it 'copy' the photos to an aperture library so I will have a copy on my camera or in a folder on my hard drive and then a copy in aperture?

Thanks

tdmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
Hi guys,

Sorry for the noob question but I have just started to use Aperture. When I import photos, will it 'copy' the photos to an aperture library so I will have a copy on my camera or in a folder on my hard drive and then a copy in aperture?

Thanks

I am a little more than a newbie but when you import from a memory card or a camera at the end it will ask you if you want to delete the pictures from the card/camera or just eject the camera/card.

If you want to have photo files stored on a hard drive outside of aperture and want a copy inside of aperture you can do that as well. If the files are on a hardrive and you import it will only copy those photos into aperture and the originals will remain in there current location.

Not sure what it is your are trying to accomplish. If you elaborate there might be a better method to your madness :D.

Another thing is that you can choose to have the photo's on your hardrive and have aperture leave the photo's in there orginal location. Thus, ony the pointer into as well as edit info is stored inside of aperture. I will say that if you have alot of files this will be much slower than if all of the photo's reside inside of aperture.

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I basically want to import photos that I have on my camera and a few on my hard drive into aperture but I dont want duplicates so want to know if when I have imported them into aperture I can delete the photos off my camera and hard drive. Hope this makes sense.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Basically when you import photos into Aperture you're copying them from wherever your masters are. I always import into Aperture and save on an external drive so that I have two copies. Aperture never really touches your masters but I'm paranoid.

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Is there any real difference or is the master just a copy of whats in aperture?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
the master is the original image you imported.

go to the Apple website, go to Mac, find Aperture, and watch the tutorials.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.