Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Hey all,

I'm not sure if others are experiencing this, but it appears that Aperture will sometimes generate a completely corrupt preview image. For example, I've attached a screenshot.

Does anyone know how to remedy this and avoid it in the future?

Thanks in advance,

DCBass

Attachments

• JackedPreview.jpg
    JackedPreview.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 213

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
You can right-click on the thumbnail in the browser on the side and click "update preview". You can even delete it and re-render it.

p.s. you can also use shift+command+4 to activate the selectable screen shot (instead of using Grab.)

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Hi Grimace,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I've tried both "updating" the preview and "generating" a new one (by holding down option while right-clicking on the image).

Also, thanks for the 'grab' tip. What a cool tool! (that i don't use often enough)

DCBass

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I am having a similar problem, but it has only occurred when I try and use the dodge plug in on a certain picture. I still haven't figured out a way to make it work. It works fine on this image if I try and edit it as an 8bit tiff, but not as a 16bit tiff. I have noticed that even though the image that shows up that I would try and edit is unworkable once I save it it looks fine in Aperture.
borkentiff.png

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
Mine was also doing this! :mad:

Mostly when changing the temp, or white balance, in them cases, the pic will just turn black!

Then once adjusting the colors, it went all goofy like the OP's pic.
:confused:

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Solved!

what a crazy effect, jimmy!

mine was not a result of using dodge and burn, only some minor straightening.

also, i tried 'generate thumbnail' and now my browser shows the corrupted image.

one other thing, it appears that my master image is still intact. when i export the master or make a new version from the master, everything seems to be fine.

a ha! solution!

and, as i'm fiddling with this as i type this, if i just take the corrupted image, "unclick" my adjustment, the master reappears, and if i "re-click" my adjustment (in this case, straighten), all is fine.

Guess i solved my own problem. Still annoying that this happened in the first place.

Hopefully this helps you Jimmy and iBallz (love that name), and thanks again Grimace for helping me dig deeper.

DCBass

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
what a crazy effect, jimmy!

mine was not a result of using dodge and burn, only some minor straightening.

also, i tried 'generate thumbnail' and now my browser shows the corrupted image.

one other thing, it appears that my master image is still intact. when i export the master or make a new version from the master, everything seems to be fine.

a ha! solution!

and, as i'm fiddling with this as i type this, if i just take the corrupted image, "unclick" my adjustment, the master reappears, and if i "re-click" my adjustment (in this case, straighten), all is fine.

Guess i solved my own problem. Still annoying that this happened in the first place.

Hopefully this helps you Jimmy and iBallz (love that name), and thanks again Grimace for helping me dig deeper.

DCBass

I have the same issue, plus one other. Oddly, the unclick/reclick method does NOT fix this error for me, only the other one.

The black preview issue (I call it "black screen" because I am almost always working in full screen and there the whole screen goes black) is very common for me in certain projects, yet completely absent in others. For instance, I had 494 pics in a project I shot two weekends back and none of them hit this problem; I had 196 in a project this weekend and I hit this problem about every fifth picture. My observations:

0. I will continue to say "black image" here. Oddly enough, a small portion of the time the image presented as all white instead of all black.

1. In all cases, the histogram in the adjustments HUD accurately reflected an all-black/all-white image; this isn't a video display issue.

2. When I first encountered it, I tried unchecking the last modification (which has worked on other Aperture corruption: see below). That worked maybe one in four times.

3. Moving to the "next" image I often (but not always) was greeted with a black image right off the bat. If I moved three or four images forward, eventually I'd hit a non-black image.

4. This only affected the "full-screen" previews. The thumbnails in the grid view remained correct throughout.

5. Often the "crop" tool (which I was using in any case) turned out to fix matters. On the black screen, selecting the Crop tool and taking a guess as to where I'd wanted to crop based on memory of the original photo, sometimes the image would come back immediately while dragging. Other times, it would come back when I hit the "a" key to deselect cropping. The remaining times, going out of full screen (looking at the crop job in the thumbnail grid view) then back into full screen and hitting 'c' for the crop tool, the image would come back. Once I found this "fixed" things, I applied this process to the rest of the images and it worked every single time.

6. Before finding the crop trick the only sure-fire fix was closing Aperture completely and restarting it. I also tried completely restarting the computer to see if that kept the issue from coming back, but it did not.

Given that a restart of Aperture always clears up the issue, I'm guessing that the saved image previews are not getting corrupted. However, it seems that something in the preview regeneration sometimes fixes matters. I'm guessing that Aperture keeps an in-memory cache of the preview scaled to various sizes, and that this in-memory cache is getting corrupted somehow.

The other issue I'm having (since Aperture 1.5 at least) is image corruption. It almost always happens if I adjust the sliders on the "Edge Sharpen" tool in the HUD. It get streaks of "Static" running diagonally across the screen. Unchecking/rechecking the tool a few times seems to fix this. It's a pain because the edge sharpen tool is very unresponsive on my 2x2.0G5, so clicking it off/on is a 5-10 second cycle, and it often takes three or four tries for it to "stick".

However, unlike the "black screen" issue above, this one does seem to get persisted into the full-size previews. I left an image in this state once, and later that evening it showed up on our Apple TV with the same corruption.

I had been questioning the health of my video card. I know Aperture does offload a bunch of processing to the GPU, and so it is possible the GPU is causing the corruption. The other possibility is bad memory. I've run Tech Tool Pro on the system a few times since the static-streaking was first noticed (which supposedly checks both video and memory health), and it hasn't turned up anything, though.

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
I'd just like to chime in and say that I'm getting this problem with Aperture 2.1 and, boy heck, is it driving me nuts. The initial problem that I was seeing was with the histogram, both at the top of the Adjustments pane, and in the Levels adjustment option, where the histogram would disappear. That was annoying, but switching to Quick Preview and back again would normally fix the problem, or moving onto the next image and back again. However, yesterday, when I started making adjustments to pictures taken during a recent trip I started encountering the issues mentioned here, such as corrupted images, or black images, or (a new one) blue images when the "Highlight Hot & Cold Areas" option is enabled. Mostly these problem occurred when I started to use options in the Enhance section, but it also happened in the Exposure section as well. Enabling/Disabling the adjustments sometimes fixed the problem, and restarting Aperture also did the job.

Back in April I took a load of pictures there and made adjustments to them in Aperture 2.1, and there were no problems. I therefore wonder whether this is something introduced by the 10.5.3.

Just for the record, I'm running a MacBook Pro 17" Core 2 Duo (Oct 2006).

Attachments

• Bad Aperture.png
    Bad Aperture.png
    208.4 KB · Views: 113

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
HAh. Aperture is one hell of a tool - I get black thumbnails sometimes, at random, seemingly creating a new version from master solves it. I also get the odd image where the preview weirds out and becomes a bizarre merge of the image it should be, and the last one I looked at. And it stays like that even when I flick back and forth between images. I think it repairs on relaunch though.

Ugh.

Still, it's fab most of the time.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Yes I've had this happen a couple of times - the only way that I could find to fix it was to delete and reload.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
If restarting Aperture doesn't work, try rebuilding the database. Hold Command+Option while launching Aperture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.