Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Ok, so a few months ago, I got a Mac Pro to use as my main machine. I migrated everything from my MacBook Pro and went through the fun of finding out which programs now were unlicensed.

One of them was Aperture 2.x. No problem- I got my upgrade from the Apple store, and the key's online...

Bzzzt! It wanted the original 1.x key first. Naturally, I couldn't find that due to an office move that still has things all boxed up in three locations. So I contacted Apple, and despite the fact that I'd registered my 2.x successfully, they wanted a receipt for the 1.x version which I got from B&H.

Fortunately, B&H was able to email me my invoice, and Apple took the copy and gave me a new 1.x key which then made Aperture happy.

Just a warning- if you've updated your copy of Aperture, make sure you keep the original license key somewhere safe as a migration will kill the new version (which was still functioning fine on my laptop, but only with the upgrade key available.)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
The same thing happened to me. I had to go hunting for the original Aperture packaging. Against expectations... I found it, and all is well.

But I'm 'old school'. I'm used to buying something and doing exactly what I want with it. It goes against the grain to be told that I can't have access to something I've paid good money for... :confused:

filman408

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
San Jose, CA
Its an UPGRADE. What were you expecting? All of Apples pro apps do this, but if you have the System ID file, the installer will recognize it.

The installer asking for the previous serial is a whole lot better then needing to install the older version, then upgrade.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Pretty sure his was a warning to others and IMHO the keyword is MIGRATED. That tells me it was not unheard of to think it wouldn't be required.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
But I'm 'old school'. I'm used to buying something and doing exactly what I want with it. It goes against the grain to be told that I can't have access to something I've paid good money for... :confused:

That was my issue as well...

Its an UPGRADE. What were you expecting? All of Apples pro apps do this, but if you have the System ID file, the installer will recognize it.

The installer asking for the previous serial is a whole lot better then needing to install the older version, then upgrade.

I expect the fact that the upgrade was successfully registered with a valid license key against a previously licensed version to be enough to validate it as a valid key against the same account that installed the initial key, registered that, then purchased and registered the upgrade. Having to save useless version information when you have online registration is frankly stupid. I could see if anything in the chain didn't match- or if the update key hadn't been successfully used and registered- but since that's not the case, the exercise is silly- Apple has enough information to validate the new key is a valid update, it shouldn't require a two-year-old key to move to a new system.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Pretty sure his was a warning to others and IMHO the keyword is MIGRATED. That tells me it was not unheard of to think it wouldn't be required.

Yep, that's exactly what it is- if I'd known, I'd have gotten my files into Aperture much more quickly as I'd have kept the original key handy (even though I still think the exercise is pointless and stupid.)

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.