Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jord12r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Hi All.

I'm racking my Brain over purchase of a dSLR. I've narrowed it down to two models.. Olympus E510 (Evolt), Canon EOS 400D. For various reasons, the Olympus really impresses, however I'm aware it may not be compatible with Lightroom or Aperture at the moment. For me, the ability to conduct a efficient workflow is very important. Does the Canon EOS 400D work with either Lightroom or Aperture? I know there are more pressing concerns photographically but RAW Compatibility is a big issue for me. Has anybody tested the E510 (Evolt) with either Aperture or Lightroom? When do we expect updates for such programs for support of the latest dSLRs?
Any help would be appreciated.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Hi All.

I'm racking my Brain over purchase of a dSLR. I've narrowed it down to two models.. Olympus E510 (Evolt), Canon EOS 400D. For various reasons, the Olympus really impresses, however I'm aware it may not be compatible with Lightroom or Aperture at the moment. For me, the ability to conduct a efficient workflow is very important. Does the Canon EOS 400D work with either Lightroom or Aperture? I know there are more pressing concerns photographically but RAW Compatibility is a big issue for me. Has anybody tested the E510 (Evolt) with either Aperture or Lightroom? When do we expect updates for such programs for support of the latest dSLRs?
Any help would be appreciated.

Lightroom supports everything. I am sure it supports the Olympus since it was introduced a few months ago. The Canon would work on both Aperture and Lightroom since it's a very popular model. You can go to the support page in Apple's website and do some searching in the Aperture portion to find out what cameras are compatible with the software. I think they also have a list in Aperture's product page.

I was a little curious so I went and looked for you:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/raw/cameras.html

Olympus is there as well as the Rebel XTi (400D) but I don't know if Olympus changed the OLY file for the E510, Aperture supports the E500. I would put money on the fact that Lightroom supports it, and says that it supports it.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
At the moment, I think the only Canon cameras not support by these programs are the 1DS Mark 3 and the 40D. That's because they've only just been announced and Lightroom & Aperture will take around a month or more to update for them.

jord12r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Thanks people. I guess I have to be patient when it comes to software support. I've checked out adobe labs website for lightroom and it states it supports E500, but no E510 as yet. I bet my luck they've changed the file format with the E510. Also the EOS 400D is only support as preliminary- whatever that really means. Looking at the aperture site, the E510 is not yet supported either, so I might delay the purchase of the camera for a few months untill support is acknowledged. I do prefer Lightroom over aperture though but I only used the trial Aperture for a few minutes after I found my older camera's RAW format was not supported. I might get ity out and give it another try.

Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.