Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yrsonicdeath

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
So I got a D90 about a week ago and had been fiddling with it to some degree. Yesterday I went to upload some of the photos into Lightroom 2 to make my final decision on which software to purchase and it seems as though the RAWs that the D90 creates can't be read by Lightroom or Aperture currently. I know it's a new camera, but at this point my trial is ticking down and I may not be able to test it out properly because of this hiccup. Does anyone know of a feasible work-around, or am I just going to have to wait. While I did like Lightroom better, and felt it ran better on my MBP. I definitely wouldn't have any objections to getting aperture. After all it can be had much cheaper.

Jaiden

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2008
You just need to download lightroom 2.1, just search on google.
It includes support for the d90

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
...it seems as though the RAWs that the D90 creates can't be read by Lightroom or Aperture currently.

Apple is always very slow to support new cameras. They are typically the last after all the others. (To many engineers working on iPhones maybe?) But Apple will eventually support it. I would not base my decision on which to buy on a couple month delay by Apple

You ask for a workaround. None is really needed. Aperture has the exact same work flow with JPG as with RAW. The only difference you will notice during evaluation is that the range of effect of some of the sliders is reduced. Other then a reduced ability to salvage some poorly exposed images you can't really tell if the image is raw or jpg in Aperture. Lightroom on the other hand does treat jpgs different from raw images

I think that is one of Apertures strenghts, that you don't do anything different if you shoot raw

For evaluation purposes all you need are some raw files. They don't have to be from a D90 Just get some d300 images off the web or ask here for some samples.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
So I got a D90 about a week ago and had been fiddling with it to some degree. Yesterday I went to upload some of the photos into Lightroom 2 to make my final decision on which software to purchase and it seems as though the RAWs that the D90 creates can't be read by Lightroom or Aperture currently. I know it's a new camera, but at this point my trial is ticking down and I may not be able to test it out properly because of this hiccup. Does anyone know of a feasible work-around, or am I just going to have to wait. While I did like Lightroom better, and felt it ran better on my MBP. I definitely wouldn't have any objections to getting aperture. After all it can be had much cheaper.

Raw Photo Processor appears to have D90 support, worth a try IMO- it's donation-ware, but doesn't require a donation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.