Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Hi. Is there a way so I can connect my Dig. Rebel (Orig. ) into my iMac G5 over USB and then in Aperture take a 'live picture'? There used to be a "Photographer Profile" on the Apple Aperture Page and it showed a Pro. Fashion Photographer taking pictures & instantly seeing them on 2 30'' displays.

Is there a way to do this??

Any help appreciated!

Thanks, Kevin

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
Here,
Connect your camera to your Mac using its USB cable and turn it on
Create a new Automator workflow and from the Image Capture library drag the Take Picture action into the workflow
NOTE 1: personally, I would leave the Delete image from camera after download option unchecked. This gives you a backup of the images from your session should anything go wrong with the workflow.
NOTE 2: The action should show you your camera name and if it is connected. If it doensn't show up, try switching its USB connection mode from Mass Storage to PTP.
From the Aperture library, drag the Import Photos action to the end of the workflow and set the project that you want each photo imported into
Finally, drag the Set IPTC Tags action into the the workflow after the Import Photos action
I usually use this to have all of the images tagged with my default credit, copyright, keywords, and other metadata so I don't have to do it later!
Save this workflow (file type should be Application) and place it in your dock
Now with the workflow app in the dock you can set up everything in the studio, frame your shot, and turn to your workstation. Hit the workflow app with a single click. If your camera is supported, this will fire the shutter and in a second or two the new image should be available in Aperture. You can use the arrow keys to select the new image and with the inspectors shown, you can immediately see the histograms, use the loupe to inspect image details (or just drop into full screen mode), and rank the image. Now you can make adjustments to your lighting or setup and repeat the process again. This is far better than inspecting images on the smallish displays on the backs of cameras and with a calibrated monitor, well, you'll really know what you're looking at! And the workflow helps you to fine tune your studio setup and adjust to changes quickly without the guess work of what the images will really look like.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Wow, javabear. That's awesome. Thank you so much for sharing that, I never knew it was possible.

The only thing i hope is that someone soon creates a quick and easy program which does this process for you, or a plugin to aperture that adds the "Shoot!" button. That would be nifty.

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
Ok well.. you got me started. Upon a little bit more reaserch, there is a better way. Use EOS capture (or whatever it is called and dl it from Canon). Then download a little program called "Aperture Hot Folder 1.5" from this link http://automator.us/aperture/ Then it is pretty straight forward.
From the website:
A script to enable tethered shooting with various DSLR cameras into Aperture. Requires the installation and setup of camera-specific capture software (such as EOS Capture, Nikon Capture, or Capture One) set to download to a designated folder. This script will monitor the chosen folder and auto-import into Aperture any images downloaded by the camera software into the targeted folder.

See, I was trying to figure out a way to do a hot folder type thing, but Automator would not allow it. So this is absolutely perfect. Also, on that link there is some other neat stuff you can do with Aperture.
-Ted

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
Well, really I think all that little program does is tell Aperture to import any new image it finds in that folder. So you use Nikon Capture or another image capture software normally. Then you tell this program to update Aperture with any new images that it finds in that folder that Nikon Capture is downloading to. So it does the same thing that the Automator script does, except you can use the physical controls on the camera, instead of using a laggy button on your dock. I hope that makes more sense.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Unfortunately my 300d Rebel isn't supported for by the Canon Software or Image Capture, thanks for the reply(s) though!

Kevin

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Unfortunately my 300d Rebel isn't supported for by the Canon Software or Image Capture, thanks for the reply(s) though!

Kevin

This isn't surprising, as it usually would be professional photographers in a studio who would be shooting tethered....and the Digital Rebel is not a professional-level camera, not by a long shot. Ditto for the Nikon D50 or D80..... Most people who are doing tethered shooting are using the high-end Canons or Nikons.

This thread was neat to read, though, as I hadn't realized that there would be a way to utilize Aperture in this sort of process. I've never shot tethered with my D200 -- I'm not a professional, not in a studio and although I've got Capture NX have still not actually installed it in the computer. One of these days..... LOL! It is really cool that there is a way to work this all through with a tethered camera, Capture/NX and Aperture!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.