Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
So...I load up aperture today to import some new shots from CF. I do that but don't have time to do any detail editing. I did find 6 bad shots I didn't want and deleted them but then had to close Aperture to go do other things.

I came back a few hours later and found that several of my older images are completely gone. Just gone. I just did a scan through the entire managed library and I would estimate that it is roughly 100 images. Off the top of my head I can't think of a common thread among all the missing images and I don't know what I could have done to delete them. I re-organized my library last week and everything was fine.

I was not using the Vault because I was waiting to purchase a new external drive. I guess without a Vault as backup I'm pretty much out of luck here, right? I sure would like to know what mistake I could have possibly made to cause the delete. I just can't think of what I may have done!

wgilles

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
Well I'm sure they are still on your hard drive, pretty much everything is on your hard drive forever unless you have a HD crash. You should be able to download a program that can recover lost files. I would also try calling Apple tech support to see if there is something they can do.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
Your Aperture database may have been corrupted. I've had iPhoto crash like this too. That's why I don't rely on software albums to organise my images.

My advice is to backup before you import, edit, or even view your images. Don't use proprietary backup software that compresses the files into a huge package, as that increases the chance of data corruption and incompatibilities with newer systems.

The missing images are probably still on your hard drive, but they're not being displayed in Aperture because of the database corruption.

SimonMW

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
If you open the Aperture package file you should be able to find the images. Same with iPhoto.

onomatopoeia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
If you open the Aperture package file you should be able to find the images. Same with iPhoto.

Interesting. I'll try that.

Is Aperture's Vault a safe backup method? I'm using that now but I'll dump my managed database and go with Time Machine and a referenced database if that is more secure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.