Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
The new Aperture has Edge Sharpening highlighted as a new feature.

But the 'auto/default' profile under RAW Fine Tuning for my Canon 350D already has a sharpening setting set (Intensity and Edges-) so is the idea to turn that off and use the new Edge Sharpening options (Intensity/Edges/Falloff), or are those meant to be added on top of the default camera setting?

As far as I remember Aperture had the Edges thing set under RAW Fine Tuning before 1.5 - so is this really a new thing? Or has the actual funtion of the sharpening under RAW Fine Tuning been changed?

I'm a bit confused. Any advice much appreciated!!

-Jon.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
jdavtz said:
The new Aperture has Edge Sharpening highlighted as a new feature.

But the 'auto/default' profile under RAW Fine Tuning for my Canon 350D already has a sharpening setting set (Intensity and Edges-) so is the idea to turn that off and use the new Edge Sharpening options (Intensity/Edges/Falloff), or are those meant to be added on top of the default camera setting?
Twenty bucks says that that setting (on the camera, that is) only applies to JPEG images. RAW is the raw data from the camera sensor. No tweaking, no interpretation, just the raw output from the sensor.

Note that you need a little bit of sharpening on every image, since there is an anti-aliasing filter built in - which will soften the image a bit.

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
Sorry - I'm shooting RAW and I'm talking about Aperture's "RAW Fine Tuning" section which basically says Camera: Canon 350D, Sharpening: 0.5 intensity, 0.41 edges, and a few other bits. I presume Aperture has 'profiles' for common cameras built in and a 'default/recommended/should-be-about-rightish' level of sharpening set. It's this panel in Aperture that has (and I'm pretty certain always has had) Intensity and Edges settings.

So I'm wondering if this is "meant" to be replaced by the New "Edge Sharpening" module (Intensity/Edges/Fallout) in Aperture, or if that is "meant" to be added on top of the 'default' camera settings (set by Aperture, not by the camera).

I know the answer will probably be along the lines of, "look at the results and see what is better", but surely there's a rationale behind the way sharpening is implemented in Aperture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.