Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
So, I've got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 that produces RW2 and JPG extensions.

I want to use the RW2 files in Aperture as Master images (or both the RW2 and JPG) but it seems that Aperture does not support RW2.

Is there any work-around to this issue? Can I convert RW2 to RAW?

Thanks for your help!

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
DNG converter is definitely supported. My sister has the same camera and uses the RAW files in PSElements. It was added in ACR 5.2. Use the free DNG converter from Adobe and then import into Aperture. It's a kluge yes, but Panasonic has awful support for 3rd party applications.

pit29

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
I cannot test this, but I think I remember that Aperture used to support DNG files only if it supported the same camera's RAW files as well. At lest this was true with Aperture 1.5, when I had the then new Leica D-Lux 3. Though I could convert that camera's RAW files to DNG, they weren't supported by Aperture. After OS X was upgraded to provide RAW support for the D-Lux 3, Aperture handled both its RAW and DNG files.

My suspicion is that Aperture still works that way. And I would still not understand that (though I wouldn't be surprised if a complicated reason for that existed).

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
I cannot test this, but I think I remember that Aperture used to support DNG files only if it supported the same camera's RAW files as well. At lest this was true with Aperture 1.5, when I had the then new Leica D-Lux 3. Though I could convert that camera's RAW files to DNG, they weren't supported by Aperture. After OS X was upgraded to provide RAW support for the D-Lux 3, Aperture handled both its RAW and DNG files.

My suspicion is that Aperture still works that way. And I would still not understand that (though I wouldn't be surprised if a complicated reason for that existed).

It's possible that the program looks at whatever's in the EXIF, perhaps that is editable too.

Aha... googling the problem brings up this old trick: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20061025124051903

I'm sure there must be a new one if this old one doesn't work.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Thanks you all for the suggestions!

I am actually thinking about buying a Nikon 5000D, which produces RAW.

This little Lumix will be a great secondary camera!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.