Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
So what do you guys think about aperture's performance on the new top of the line 24" 2.8Ghz iMac. Will the new processor, vid card and increased L2 cache significantly improve performance say over the 1st generation iMacs?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So what do you guys think about aperture's performance on the new top of the line 24" 2.8Ghz iMac. Will the new processor, vid card and increased L2 cache significantly improve performance say over the 1st generation iMacs?

The new iMacs use glossy screens. In my opinion that means they can't be used for serious photography. I doubt you will ever, even with hardware calibration, get the on screen image to match a print. For some reason the glossy surface messes with the apparent contrast. Do the current batch of colorimeters even work with the new iMac screens? Also remember that the iMac is limited to only 4GB of RAM.

I think Apple crippled the iMac so that it would not cut into Mac Pro sales

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Yes, they'll be plenty, even with the 2.4 GHz cpu. I run Aperture on my first-gen 2 GHz ProBook with 2 GB RAM. The (faster) graphics card in the 24" iMac should be plenty. It should be a lot faster than your iMac G5.

As for the glossy screen, I have to disagree. Although my ProBook has a matte screen, I have seen and briefly worked with glossy screens, they are just fine. CRTs have had the same problems as `glossy' screens for years and unless you try hard to position your screen, it probably won't bother you at all.

If you are in doubt, don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it and have a look at the new iMacs at your favorite retail store.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
If you look at the product lines from the "high-end" graphic monitor companies like Eizo, I don't think you will find high gloss displays.

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
I was thinking more in regards to the CPU and GPU - you could always get the 20" iMac and run the thing as a dual monitor machine with an even bigger LCD for the photo workspace, no? Even then the cost should be well below a Pro and large LCD.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
As for the glossy screen, I have to disagree. Although my ProBook has a matte screen, I have seen and briefly worked with glossy screens, they are just fine. CRTs have had the same problems as `glossy' screens for years and unless you try hard to position your screen, it probably won't bother you at all.

The new iMac screen doesn't calibrate well.

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
Ok, setting screen issues aside. Anyon have anything to add regarding the Performance of Aperture on either the 2.4 or 2.8 CPUs?

Specifically I'm wondering about performance with large libraries, generation of slideshows (without previous previews), editing full screen with HUD, etc.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.