Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
I have iPhoto '08 and was considering upgrading to '09. I do like the "events" feature of iPhoto, but at times wish it had more editing options. For those using Aperture, how does it compare to iPhoto for photo management and viewing? Would Aperture take the place of iPhoto or is better to use iPhoto as the manager/viewer and Aperture as just an editor ?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
iPhoto is much better at managing since it has Faces, Places and Events. Aperture does not. Aperture is good for photographers who don't use Faces, Places or Events. It's for batch processing and the like. I'd use iPhoto since it's consumer based and suited for the casual user.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
iPhoto is a viewer/manager, so that's how it should be used. It does its job brilliantly! The new version has better editing tools, and are plenty for my personal needs.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I have both. I use iPhoto only for viewing certain photos and presenting them to friends as its slideshow features are much more stylish. Use Aperture for everything else. I'm hoping Aperture 2.5/3 includes some of the new iPhoto 09 features...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have iPhoto '08 and was considering upgrading to '09. I do like the "events" feature of iPhoto, but at times wish it had more editing options. For those using Aperture, how does it compare to iPhoto for photo management and viewing? Would Aperture take the place of iPhoto or is better to use iPhoto as the manager/viewer and Aperture as just an editor ?

If what you need is better editing then buy "Adobe Photoshop Elements". It integrates seamlessly with iPhoto (from within iPhoto you double click the photo and it comes up in Elements then goes back to iPhoto when you are done) Elements is a much better editor then Aperture and I would recommend it the Aperture's users too. (it integrates with Aperture the same way.)

Searching and sorting is not that much different in Aperture vs. iPhoto except the Aperture has a more powerful meta data editor with a lot more options and fields

The best way to buy Elements is to buy a Wacon "Bamboo Fun" graphic tablet. Elements is bundled inside for free. The tablet sells for about $10 more then Elements does and you will need a tablet if you make use of any of the brush or re-touch tools in Photoshop Elements

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
I do 90% of my edits in iPhoto but for more power I change the default editor of iPhoto in Preferences to either pixelmator or GraphicConverter. You can use just about any editor you want that way. That way when I make edits it stays in iPhoto and they integrate seamlessly with iPhoto and you don't have to Export and Reimport back into iPhoto. Just be sure you just use Save and not Save As after your edit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.