Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
UK
I’ve been using the Aperture trial on my Macbook Pro for the last couple of weeks, and I think I’m going to purchase it. Performance is typically ok, but I do notice some sluggishness sometimes – some lag in places, which I’d like to eliminate if possible. Is this typical of the App, or am I not well enough spec’d (I think I meet the minimum requirements)?

MBP
1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
1GB RAM
RadeonX1600

I shoot in Raw on a 350D, and have about 4,500 images.

I’ll buy more RAM if it is worth it, but if I’m limited by my processor or graphics card, I may reconsider my options.

Thoughts & experiences appreciated!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I have a 2Ghz, 2Gb Core Duo MBP. It bogs down sometimes in Aperture (400D Raw images). My feeling is that this occurs when the machine is forced to swap for any reason. A faster, larger harddrive would probably help, as would killing other RAM hogging apps.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I think the app is just slow. It's not as slow as before, but even on your machine, which isn't exactly outdated, it's going to run a bit sluggish at times. More RAM will help, but it's not going to run perfectly smooth all the time. A total of 2 GB of RAM will make running Aperture less annoying, though. :)

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I've got a 1.83 ghz Macbook (not pro) with a 120gb Hard Drive and 2gb of ram, and I've been very happy with the performance.

leandroc76

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
I think the app is just slow. It's not as slow as before, but even on your machine, which isn't exactly outdated, it's going to run a bit sluggish at times. More RAM will help, but it's not going to run perfectly smooth all the time. A total of 2 GB of RAM will make running Aperture less annoying, though. :)

For pro's who PP thousands of images for one client, it is cost effective to run Aperture off a RAID.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Performance is typically ok, but I do notice some sluggishness sometimes – some lag in places, which I’d like to eliminate if possible.

Run the Activity Monitor and study the CPU, RAM and Disk graphs while you work in Aperture. If the CPU is flat lined at 100% there is not much you can do. But if the disk is pegged out adding RAM can reduce the need for disk access.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Appeture is an intrinsically RAM-hungry program. I think CPU-wise even a CD1 MacMini would be able to run it, though you'd want to max that thing out in terms of RAM. I run apeture on both my dual 2.5 (not Quad) G5 with 5 GB of RAM, and on my CD2 MBP (2GB RAM). To be quite honest, I really can't tell a difference in performance. One thing to remember is that the MBP RAM is significantly faster than the G5's, which could explain the lack of observable difference. To answer the OP's question, sure, you can run it. But if you want to run it well, invest in another stick of RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.