Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
I'm wondering how you all manage and organize projects in Aperture? Do you make a new one each photoshoot, or group like images together in a project?

Share your Aperture project workflow! :)

RBDesign

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
Couple of things regarding Aperture workflow.

I'm wondering how you all manage and organize projects in Aperture? Do you make a new one each photoshoot, or group like images together in a project?

I would love to see more people share their Aperture workflow. Here is a brief overview of the front end of my workflow no matter what the subject matter. The back end varies depending on what I am shooting and who I am doing it for.

RB

Ps. A bunch of other Aperture related articles as well.

RBDesign

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008

I would love to see more people share their Aperture workflow. Here is a brief overview of the front end of my workflow no matter what the subject matter. The back end varies depending on what I am shooting and who I am doing it for.

Aperture Workflow

RB

Ps. A bunch of other Aperture related articles as well.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I have a Project (such as "Weddings" or "Gigs" or "Holidays" etc), and within those are Albums for each shoot. The Album is labelled by date and then location/description (ie: 2008-02 Lyn & Clive). This then means I can find my images quickly from that shoot, and they are listed within Projects in date order (year then month).

Obviously beyond that, there is metadata for individual shots or types of shot. However, I can generally remember where things are (even with an archive currently of 50k images), so I don't use search that much.

The other advantage to this is that it's easy to export completed Albums to clients, as things aren't just done by subject matter (which may lead to images being all over the place).

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

What most people do, I think is to use the "Project" to hld the result of one unit of work. That unit might be a trip to the park to shoot birds or one wedding or a weekend trip or an afternoon sped shooting glassware on the kitchen table. Really I think the word "project" is a good fit. a Project holds one project

Then what I do is group the projects into folders. I have one folder for my under water projects that I shoot while diving. One folder for family vacation shots and one for my scanned film that I shot years ago and one for projects that involve scanned 100 year old photos I'm working on. each folder holds many related projects.

Within each project some times there can be many images or in some projects there are only a handfull. If there are many I might need folders to organize them.

I look at albums as an "end product", something that I might want to show. Some albums are just the "selects" or best work from a project andothers contain images from across many projects or folders.

One top of folder, projects and albums I also keyword and comment and rate most images and so I can make "smart albums" that collect all images with a common search critrial. I make these smart albums as I need them and after a while I have quite a few of them so I place them in folders. After a while I find that when I want to look for an image I use the smart album or the search methon and nver go hunting around in the projects or folders

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.