Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Hi,
Well first let me clarify that Aperture here refers to the camera aperture and not Apple Aperture software.

Okay, I have been wondering, a low aperture number (f/2.8) will be able to get faster shutter speed but then it will make the background become blur right? This is good for portraits and such, but I wonder, in low light, it is also recommended to use a low aperture number (especially those f/2 and smaller) but wont a lower aperture number make the image more blur (means that the only a small part of the subject will be sharp)?

Cause I remember that it states to get the whole image to be sharp (for landscape esp.) you need to increase the aperture number but you cant do that in low light right?

Sorry for the noob question, I got confused.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Im in the same boat as you! Im having a hard time understanding aperture.
Heres a little guide i made from a few different web sites and pictures.. Hope this helps you!

Attachments

• Aperture Guide.jpg
    Aperture Guide.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 106

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Thanks but there is another thread with the same topic. Accidently made 2 of the same topic thanks to Malaysia lousy internet. So you can post it there if you dont mind and Im surprised the mods haven delete this thread yet eventhough I asked them.

GT41

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
You need to find a balance in low light. If you want fast shutter speed then boost ISO and open the aperture, however you are right, depth of field decreases with open aperture. If you want depth you have to stop down which means slower speed and likely a tripod. Sometimes photography is a compromise with the laws of physics and as such you've got to make the creative decision of what you are going to do... (choose between depth of field or shutter speed).

You may get some suggestions from wise people on this forum if you give a description of what you are trying to photograph in particular, though in the end it comes down to what you as the photographer sees for the final image.

Good luck :)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Okay, I have been wondering, a low aperture number (f/2.8) will be able to get faster shutter speed but then it will make the background become blur right? This is good for portraits and such, but I wonder, in low light, it is also recommended to use a low aperture number (especially those f/2 and smaller) but wont a lower aperture number make the image more blur (means that the only a small part of the subject will be sharp)?...

You are exactly correct. Opening the aperture up lets in more light be also reduces the range of distances that can be in focus. Same with the shutter speed. If the shutter is open longer more light gets in but blur due to camera or subject motion becomes an issue. Same with ISO speed. High ISO is more senitive to light but then noise is an issue.

What this says is that for the best image quality you need lots of light. Now you see wht studios for photography, movies and TV all pend so much money of lighting. Landscape photographers have to work with whatever light they have but most other kinds can add lighting with use of reflectors, flash or "hot lights"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.