Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
This is just a quick question from a new user of Aperture.

I have been using iPhoto since it first came out and I have about 8GB of photos and I thought about using Aperture as it is apparently a bit more robust than iPhoto. Anyway, in one of the Quicktime tutorials is said that you can reference your existing iPhoto files into Aperture so you don't have to copy and import them, fantastic. I have now done this but Aperture is creating an Aperture Library file in my Photos folder which is getting bigger all the time. Is this supposed to happen? I thought the idea of referencing the iPhoto library is that it didn't generate this larger files.

Also is it possible that when I import photos they go into the current iPhoto file structure rather than the Aperture Library (but I am still able to import them 'through' Aperture)

Thanks for your help.

artalliance

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2005
In the cool neighborhood of LA
have now done this but Aperture is creating an Aperture Library file in my Photos folder which is getting bigger all the time. Is this supposed to happen? I thought the idea of referencing the iPhoto library is that it didn't generate this larger files.

I have only played with Aperture for a few days, so this is guess.
I think what you are seeing as your Aperture file contains the real time previews and all the metadate you are creating within Aperture, therefore it keeps growing.
Someone correct me if I am wrong.

artalliance

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2005
In the cool neighborhood of LA
Also is it possible that when I import photos they go into the current iPhoto file structure rather than the Aperture Library (but I am still able to import them 'through' Aperture)

Thanks for your help.

The workaround for that would be to just keep importing them in iphoto and then update the Aperture reference files manually for each and every important.

At one point you need to chose which program you are using. Both are doing the same thing, no need to use both. If you need the bigger muscle, go with Aperture and be happy.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
I am liking the look of Aperture and thats the way I will be going. From what I can see all my photos will be imported into the Aperture Library. Is it possible to view each individual file in the same way as I can with iPhoto? Sometime just being able to navigate through folders is alot quicker than going through iPhoto.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.