Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shedding Skin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
I'm new to the whole Mac thing, so the answer to this question may just be a mistake on my part.

Ok, so I loaded some photos to Aperture directly from my cf card. Easy enough. When I went to look at my files in the "Aperture Library" inside my photos folder, it opened the Aperture program, which brings me to my first question. Where does Aperture store the photos I import?

That wasnt that big of a deal. If I want to use the file for something else I can just export it as a JPEG, right? Right.

The problem came later when I renamed the folder with all of my files. I come from a windows (sorry for the bad word) platform, so when you rename the "My Documents" folder, all the programs still recognize that they are there.

When I opened iTunes next I saw that I had no songs. So, confused I opened Aperture and saw that I had no photos.

If the photos are gone, it's only a few that I lost, but no one wants to lose pictures. If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it.

-Mike

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Look in your pictures folder. The library is there.

I recommend burning a CD or DVD of your images before you do anything.

Two different vaults is good, too.

Shedding Skin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
I just renamed the folder and the pictures came back. I dont know how it worked, but it did. Thanks for the advice.

Shedding Skin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
In case anyone cares, I figured out how to find my JPEG and RAW files from the "Aperture Library." You right click on it and click "Show package contents". I think I'm getting this Mac thing!

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
Just let Aperture manage your library. You dont need to know where the pics are located. Just make sure you give them all keywords and they will be easy to find.
The DVD that came with your software will have everything explained and there is a video tutorial on the Apple Seminar section that describe the new features of 1.1

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Shedding Skin said:
In case anyone cares, I figured out how to find my JPEG and RAW files from the "Aperture Library." You right click on it and click "Show package contents". I think I'm getting this Mac thing!
Yeah, you'll notice that applications are the same way. Just like on windows, they are a combination of files, but they nest them inside one which is what appears to be the application. Hence when you install most apps you just drag them to any old place on your hard drive.

In Aperture you can always export the original file, thus you should never need to go into the photo library yourself to try to find one you want.

Nutter

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
London, England
By the way, it's not a good idea to rename your home folder! On the Mac, this folder contains more than documents -- it contains all your preferences and a lot of other things that the system needs to be able to find.

Shedding Skin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2006
Thanks for all the tips. Aperture seems pretty intimidating at first, but really easy once everything is figured out. I'm sure it will keep getting easier.

triotary

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2005
Shedding Skin said:
Thanks for all the tips. Aperture seems pretty intimidating at first, but really easy once everything is figured out. I'm sure it will keep getting easier.

lol if Aperture seems intimidating, then how is photoshop to you?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
triotary said:
lol if Aperture seems intimidating, then how is photoshop to you?

It's a totally different program, but then you know that.

Aperture and Lightroom are closer, but you knew that too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.