Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Hey gang, I've been really frustrated for the past two days trying to figure out why my RAW shots are so underexposed in Aperture. The camera LCD looks just fine, but when I import the RAW images, you can see the previews rendering perfectly for 1/2 a second and then *poof* it knocks down about a stop of light. I have to manually adjust the exposure back up a stop or more to get the proper lighting, which sometimes introduces noise etc.

Just for kicks, I opened the same RAW files in Lightroom, Photoshop CS4, and Canon Digital Photo Professional. The images were the perfect exposure!! Attached is a comparison, with Aperture in the middle.

After digging around Apple's support boards, I learned that Aperture ignores the Highlight Tone Priority setting on Canon cameras. Instead, it uses the embedded underexposed part of the highlight tone priority RAW image and doesn't fill out the rest.

For JPG shooters, this could be useful, as the image does come out the right way, but for RAW shooters -- stay as far away from HTP as you can if you use Aperture as a photo management/editing tool.

It would be really swell if Aperture 2.5 or Aperture 3 fixed this... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• RAWcomparisonsWithHTP.jpg
    RAWcomparisonsWithHTP.jpg
    886.4 KB · Views: 418

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
there's not much point using HTP if you shoot RAW...just take a photo the way you do normally, and play with the highlights later.

it's like using H (or L) - it's nice to see how the image appears after being manipulated, but just using the highest native ISO and boosting the exposure later gives you more control.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
yikes! that sucks!, I LOVE Aperture, lets hope Apple fixes this soon :)

And now...LR fanboys will start coming in :(

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
It is probably something to do with RAW file tuning in Aperture. Check the Preference Pane and Google.

I'm pretty sure that it is not - Apple just doesn't code Aperture to recognize the HTP tag.

The differences are negligible in RAW, but in JPG they could be substantial. I just wish I hadn't shot two entire weddings in HTP.

Ugh. But, other than that annoyance, Aperture still rocks my socks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.