Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I posted this yesterday, about my issues with Aperture crashing constantly or giving me the red screen 'unrecognizable file' on an image in the middle of editing...

Probably should have posted the original thread here instead of Apple apps I guess. Just wondering if it's just me or is this common?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Very common. It's not just you, nor is it anything you did. It's just a bug that seems to rear its ugly head randomly. Relaunching Aperture always fixes it, at least for me. My experience is that it is more likely to happen after Aperture has been running for a while or after I've imported a lot of RAW files.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Yup, switch of Aperture, den wait a few secs and turn it back on. Also it seems Aperture got issues with the Auto functions (Exposure|Levels (BW or RGB)) after an image has been cropped, it as if Aperture find it hard to recalculate the values after the image has been cropped.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I notice this when I've been doing extensive editing -- either loads of images or a lot of cloning/repair work on several images. I simply shut down Aperture, reboot the computer, open Aperture again and all is well.....

I don't have to reboot the computer. Just restarting Aperture will make everything fine again (and for at least a couple of days without rebooting).

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Thank you! I feel better now knowing this is not uncommon - thought I might have gotten a virus or something...:eek:

lol. Guess I'll give Apple a little slack, they are great software designers most of the time. Aperture is great for what it is, an excellent photo library tool and viewer, with some powerful image editing tools (a lot better than iPhoto for that!):D

I still think that Adobe Camera Raw gives me more detail control in editing. Don't like the way Aperture sharpens pixels. And that CS4 curves tool is fabulous! When I know I will want to print, CS4 is the app of choice for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.