Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
How soon will Aperture be revised? If it is how obsolete (if at all) will the current version be. Are you happy with the current version? Are you holding off to buy Aperture until the revision?

Thanks

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
macdaddy121 said:
How soon will Aperture be revised? If it is how obsolete (if at all) will the current version be. Are you happy with the current version? Are you holding off to buy Aperture until the revision?

Thanks

There were a lot of major tweaks between 1.1, 1.1.1 and 1.1.2, but nothing earth shattering. Honestly, if you don't have Photoshop, buy it first.

I find myself editing more and more in Photoshop and then filing in Aperture to make tweaks later.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
macdaddy121 said:

Thanks
Just like iPhoto, iMovie etc - there aren't any features that make updated software obsolete. I think improved speed would be the only noticeable difference; I wouldn't hold my breath for a big update any time soon.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
carletonmusic said:
Just like iPhoto, iMovie etc - there aren't any features that make updated software obsolete. I think improved speed would be the only noticeable difference; I wouldn't hold my breath for a big update any time soon.

You better answered the question.

No, I am not expecting an imminent release. Maybe at PMA next year or the show in NYC in November.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
carletonmusic said:
I think improved speed would be the only noticeable difference...
I thought the underlying RAW algorithms were severely lacking, and that since Aperture interfaced with the system on some level that it was going to be a huge amount of work to get Aperture up to snuff for professionals?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
iGary said:
Honestly, if you don't have Photoshop, buy it first.

That is reasonable advice if you own a PPC mac. If you own an Intel Mac then wait for Adobe to offer a Universal version of Photoshop. Likely in 2007. No reason to spend the $$ and PS only to have it run at lass than half speed

As for Aperture's ability to do quality RAW conversions, it's not Aperture that dooes the converson. Aperture uses Core Image which is distributed as part of Mac OSX

Bocheememon

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2006
Fertile, MN
Then?

ChrisA said:
That is reasonable advice if you own a PPC mac. If you own an Intel Mac then wait for Adobe to offer a Universal version of Photoshop. Likely in 2007. No reason to spend the $$ and PS only to have it run at lass than half speed

As for Aperture's ability to do quality RAW conversions, it's not Aperture that dooes the converson. Aperture uses Core Image which is distributed as part of Mac OSX

Does that mean that iPhoto and Aperture have the exact same RAW conversion? If it is Core Image, then iPhoto and Aperture share the same image quality/conversion?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
mactastic said:
I thought the underlying RAW algorithms were severely lacking, and that since Aperture interfaced with the system on some level that it was going to be a huge amount of work to get Aperture up to snuff for professionals?

I thought they fixed the RAW conversion issues already through (several) updates?

@Glenn: You just started a thread asking about it, but you've already made up your mind?

bep207

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2006
i think aperture is great, but for me lightroom has seemed to be better.
im pulling for aperture though, it seems to have more potential. i think the two programs coexisting will result in two VERY good programs rather than 1 decent one

lurcher

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2004
England
I'm waiting, foolishly perhaps, for it to be updated so it works on my old 1.25ghz Powerbook and other Macs that aren't top of the range or thereabouts. And when i say work, I mean at a decent speed!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
lurcher said:
I'm waiting, foolishly perhaps, for it to be updated so it works on my old 1.25ghz Powerbook and other Macs that aren't top of the range or thereabouts. And when i say work, I mean at a decent speed!

I doubt that will ever happen; Apple has geared Aperture towards the future, not looking back at the past....

lurcher

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2004
England
I know what you mean clix, but I've just spent all my dosh on a D50 with kit and now cannot afford a new Mac :( so will have to stick to PS + ACR

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
lurcher said:

I wouldn't wait on Apple for that. Updates usually cut out more and more machines. Look at the progression of OS X as an example.

snap58

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2006
somewhere in kansas
lurcher said:

Then you are really waiting for the right number of features to make it into iPhoto. As Clix said Apple isn't going to look back at older hardware, future revisions will go the other way. I do think there are "hacks" that will allow you to use it but at a performance cost?

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Abstract said:
I thought they fixed the RAW conversion issues already through (several) updates?
They've been improved but I definitely wouldn't say fixed. Adobe's raw is still way better. Aperture/Core Image is missing support for a lot of camera raw formats too. I was all excited to start using Aperture til I realized it didn't support the raw files from the Coolpix 5000, and there are many more cameras it doesn't support - even when those raws are converted into DNGs.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Looks like the week of September 25 at Photokina may bring the next major update. Apparently Apple has never before attended Photokina but they have a Special Event scheduled.

Let's hope the upgrade price is $50 or less.

peterparker

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Houston
macdaddy121 said:

Thanks

- Dunno, maybe here.
- Current version should not be obsolete.
- Yes, mostly happy with current version, just a little latency at times.
- No, bought it 2 months ago.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Super Macho Man said:
They've been improved but I definitely wouldn't say fixed. Adobe's raw is still way better. Aperture/Core Image is missing support for a lot of camera raw formats too. I was all excited to start using Aperture til I realized it didn't support the raw files from the Coolpix 5000, and there are many more cameras it doesn't support - even when those raws are converted into DNGs.
First off, Aperture isn't really geared towards people using a CP5000, it is for the D200 shooters.

Secondly, how so is apertures raw so much worse than ACR? This may have been the case in some rare instances back when it came out, and on certain camera's. But from what I've seen, those have been isolated. I like the look I get from using my 30D with aperture.

NoNameBrand

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2005
Halifax, Canada
iGary said:
I find myself editing more and more in Photoshop and then filing in Aperture to make tweaks later.

I'm actually using Photoshop less and less, and just adjusting the RAWs in ... iPhoto 6. I was going to get Aperture, but I'm really happy with iPhoto 6. I use a Nikon D50 and shoot RAW exclusively, and think Core Image handles them just fine.

So,lurcher, have you tried iPhoto 6 with your D50?

lurcher

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2004
England
My somewhat painful workflow right now is import photos to iPhoto, also copy Raw to my raw folder. Checkout pics in iPhoto. Convert NEFS to DNG files to open in PS CS1 to convert. Save converted to JPEG and copy to iPhoto, whilst deleting originals from iPhoto. I use the ones in iPhoto to check shots which are very similar to see which I want to process in PS.

If I open as RAW from iPhoto it won't let me as it doesn't support NEF.

I hope there's an easier way to do this, especially as i got back from a holiday in Portugal with 300 shots to go thru!

Let's be seeing those :eek: smilies!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
:eek: :eek:

OK, by comparison, to give you an idea of the potential workflow in Aperture.....

I upload the NEF/RAW images from CF card through a USB Lexar CF card reader first to a folder in Pictures. I then upload the same images again into Aperture, opening a new project (or if images are similar to a project I've already begun, I'll add them to that). Set aside the CF card.... I have daily backup of my computer so don't usually do a backup right then, but sometimes, if it's an especially important set of images, I will make a backup right then to an external drive as well.

That finished, I then return to Aperture and review/rank the images, pulling out the best ones and putting them into a subfolder within the project. Review those a little more closely, then I process each image as needed, which may include simply a touch of sharpening, a little adjustment of the exposure values, maybe a tiny cropping if I decide that would improve the image (or sometimes a really drastic cropping for an entirely different look).....I think click on "output" and use a preset to then ship the completed image file to my desktop, stashing it in a folder ready to be uploaded to Smugmug or wherever. The preset takes care of resizing and changing to sRGB, etc..... That's it. On to the next image....

When I'm finished, I then can go ahead and upload the images to Smugmug and share them. In some instances I find that I want/need to do a little more editing, and that's when I open up CS2 from within Aperture and do a little fine-tuning and tinkering, but I'm finding that I use Aperture almost exclusively for PP work these days.

It took almost longer for me to type out the description of my post-processing procedure than it does to actually do it!

lurcher

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2004
England
NoNameBrand said:
I'm actually using Photoshop less and less, and just adjusting the RAWs in ... iPhoto 6. I was going to get Aperture, but I'm really happy with iPhoto 6. I use a Nikon D50 and shoot RAW exclusively, and think Core Image handles them just fine.

So how do you edit RAW via iPhoto with NEF files?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
ksz said:
Looks like the week of September 25 at Photokina may bring the next major update. Apparently Apple has never before attended Photokina but they have a Special Event scheduled.

Let's hope the upgrade price is $50 or less.

Yeah, I was thinking it would be Aperture related as well. Apple's not going as tourists, and I doubt they're bringing out a camera. It's got to be software related, and I doubt they'd be releasing a Photoshop competitor, an iPhoto mega-update, or an Aperture Lite or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.