Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Viljami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
I am new to Aperture and would be glad if you could help me with the following issues:

1. I like to shoot with my 40D usually so that each photo is saved both in raw and jpeg format, as this enables me to choose fast to keep raw format only for the best shots. When importing now photos to Ap, I cannot find the jpeg formats at all, all the photos appear only in raw format. In iPhoto I always got these two formats side by side. How could I get importing in Ap to work similarly in this respect?

2. If I have a photo in Ap only in raw format, how can I transform it into jpeg (in case the photo is not that good, but I want to keep it and save some space) ?

3. How can you get the focus spot visible while editing photos?

Hopefully these are not too stupid questions to be asked here.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I am new to Aperture and would be glad if you could help me with the following issues:

1. I like to shoot with my 40D usually so that each photo is saved both in raw and jpeg format, as this enables me to choose fast to keep raw format only for the best shots. When importing now photos to Ap, I cannot find the jpeg formats at all, all the photos appear only in raw format. In iPhoto I always got these two formats side by side. How could I get importing in Ap to work similarly in this respect?

Google: http://www.google.com/search?q=aper...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

As stated in the search results above it IS imported along with the RAW file. Unless you did something to modify your import RAW+JPG workflow.

2nd link shows a good way of actually 'seeing' the jpg version.

2. If I have a photo in Ap only in raw format, how can I transform it into jpeg (in case the photo is not that good, but I want to keep it and save some space) ?

Select photo, File > Export Version

3. How can you get the focus spot visible while editing photos?

Hopefully these are not too stupid questions to be asked here.

Not sure. Again Google: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...aperture+how+to+show+focus+points&btnG=Search

First link at top (go figure) talks about it pretty good. Doesn't look like Aperture has a way (it might strip this information out during import)

Viljami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
Google: http://www.google.com/search?q=aper...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

As stated in the search results above it IS imported along with the RAW file. Unless you did something to modify your import RAW+JPG workflow.

2nd link shows a good way of actually 'seeing' the jpg version.

Select photo, File > Export Version

Not sure. Again Google: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...aperture+how+to+show+focus+points&btnG=Search

First link at top (go figure) talks about it pretty good. Doesn't look like Aperture has a way (it might strip this information out during import)

Thanks for these tips.

As to item 1, I think I will do then so that I first select all imported images (now visible only in Raw once imported), and then Images > New Version from Master JPEG. After this step I have Raw+Jpeg formats side by side from each photo, and I can then delete the Raw files for those shots where Jpeg is enough (to save space). Does this make any sense to you?

As to item 2, I tried this but could not export the Raw files in Jpeg form into the same project. I cannot locate the project folders from the browser view, as I can only see "Aperture Trial Library" (I have now purchased this software, but the name refers still to trial version) but there are no subfolders under that file. Where should I look for to find the project folders?

As to item 3, it really seems that Ap does not have this function (focus point view). What a pity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.