Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Well, sorry to say despite the 10.5.2 update, Aperture still doesn't recognize D300 NEF files.

Preview and iPhoto handles these files fine, what gives?

There's a thread on the Apple's Aperture support boards about this cock up with D300 and D3, but it keeps being deleted by Apple watchdogs.

Angry comments anyone?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well if Aperture only updates D3 and D300 support in 10.5.x I'll be massively pissed. However, this ******** where Apple takes 3 months from the release date of a new camera.

ocbo41

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
What I find funny (or not lol) is that Iphoto will handle the raw from an $8,000 Canon 1Ds MK III but Aperture cant......and it's been out since october 07 and in beta way before....Come on :apple: stop dropping the ball on this one. If I actually made money with my camera I would drop Aperture like a hot potato, and several have just to get there D3, D300, Eos1Ds etc... to work.

If Aperture 2 doesn't clean up the act I will switch to LR when upgrading time comes around. (and hey I love aperture to)

Apple's Pro product's are losing focus WAY to fast....to many ipods and phones to test I guess.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Given that Aperture uses the support built in to OS X when interpreting NEF files - just as iPhoto does - this basically doesn't make sense. After you upgraded to 10.5.2 and rebooted, did you then run the second system update? It doesn't show up until you've upgraded to 10.5.2.

I don't know why it should matter; but maybe it does.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
Hmm... this is second-hand, but apparently (according to Joe Schorr) Apple has been planning to de-couple Aperture's image interpretation from the OS.

So perhaps they're doing that as of 10.5.2, and an Aperture update is imminent?

I don't know how likely that is, but it does at least match the circumstances.

P.S. there are still quite a few non-deleted D300/D3/1DsMKIII comments over on that Aperture forum. It makes me wonder whether the deleted posts were, perhaps, a trifle nasty?

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
iPhoto '08 yes, but Aperture 1.5.x no?

Why does it work in iPhoto'08 and not Aperture 1.5.x?
If it's true that in order to use Nikon D3/D300 RAW files in Aperture, we are forced to buy Aperture 2,then Apple is playing a kind of extortion game. It's unconscionable that they would allow the Finder, iPhoto '08, and Preview to recognize and work with D3/D300 RAW and purposely not permit the existing version of Aperture to read those same files.

So instead of allowing the existing version of Aperture to read it, which it should be able to because the less sophisticated iPhoto can, Apple is forcing Aperture users to pay the $99 upgrade price. This is just insult upon injury. Not only did we have to wait three months for OS X to recognize D3/D300 files, but now that OS X can read those files natively, for some reason the current Aperture was not modified to do so and thus we are being coerced into upgrading to Aperture 2.

This is dirty pool and it is something that I truly did not expect from Apple. I have been an advocate of theirs since the first Macintosh came out in 1984. Never would I have thought that they would do something like this. This is a low and petty move unbecoming of a company like Apple.

apple4mark

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
Northampton UK
Nikon D300 Raw...

It is the problem when you connect from the camera to the computer and I think it's the Nikon D300 camera because, I took out the card and insert to a sandisk reader, that worked fine!
I had notified Nikon and had not a reply yet, I think it's the firmware.
I also have the Nikon D200 and that work fine direct to computer.
I love Aperture and it's a dream to work with and it the best photographer's tool.
I'm buying the Aperture 2 soon when the new MB Pro comes out.....(still waiting) grrrr....!

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
I'm a little disappointed by Apple's moves here - and I'm saying this as someone that doesn't own a D3 or D300 (or 1Ds Mark III for that matter).

I've read a number of people making the argument "Why do you expect Apple to support new cameras with their old software? Adobe wouldn't do that". But the thing is, these cameras have been out for a few months now - and Adobe DID add support for them into all their current software lines. The bottom line is that Apple did not do the same, even though Aperture 1.5 WAS the up-to-date version of Aperture until today - months after these cameras' release dates.

Apple continues to run behind in the game. Nikon and Canon were obviously willing to work with software vendors prior to public release of their cameras - so why is Apple so conspicuously far behind?

I really don't like Adobe, and as software goes I'd prefer to stay with Aperture. But frankly, right now I don't know that I can count on Apple to support this supposedly "Pro" app in the manner it should.

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
What for.... Aperture 2.0 is out. :D

You do realize people were having the exact same problems with their previously-unsupported Canon RAW images, don't you?

Link to Aperture 2.0 compatibility says they support Canon G9, Sony A700, D3/D300, implying RAW support, but is it definitive yet...does A2.0 support RAW in any form from these asterisk digicams?

If there is some flaw, wouldn't Apple be quickly working on a fix for that, seeing as they have implied RAW conversion should work with A2.0?

references:

word from Apple... by Joe Schorr
Sr. Product Manager, Photo Applications
Apple

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1370460&tstart=30A

Here is seems like only A1.5.6 or whatever doesn't support the asterisk digicams in the list and you then need to upgrade for $100 to A2 to get this support? Is this what all the controversy is all about, not that Aperture doesn't support D3/D300 now, that you have to upgrade to get that support?

Yawn.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1389179&tstart=0

I have just installed my Aperture 2.0 trial copy and BOOM - 14-bit RAW files of my Nikon D300 completly suports by Aperture as well.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It is the problem when you connect from the camera to the computer and I think it's the Nikon D300 camera because, I took out the card and insert to a sandisk reader, that worked fine!
I had notified Nikon and had not a reply yet, I think it's the firmware.

And yet people will still skip your post and complain about their D300 not working in Aperture.....

So glad I use Lightroom right now. I've been playing with my RAW files for months.

ocbo41

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
With Aperture 2 you should be able to convert the raw files from a (theoretically) unsupported D500 into a DNG and aperture 2 will still read them.

However this doesn't help out people like me that have 1.5 and the DNG's from the D300 will not work. The reason they where holding off on Aperture's suport for the D300/D3/ 1Ds MkIII etc... is because they want them to shell out 100 bucks to upgrade to Aperture 2.....grrrr

I don't have a D300 however I am screwed when I upgrade my camera in a few months....D3 or Eos-1D Mk III ( at least the latter is supported lol)

I wish all camera maker's would convert to using native DNG like Leica, Hasselblads H2D and some others.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Canon G9 RAW not supported either

Hmmm, suffering the same problem with a G9. RAW files can now be opened in the Finder etc but not with Aperture. Was contemplating going to Aperture 2 anyway for the UI enhancements (I'm not a bit fan of Aperture at the mo), but not because of this reason. Seems the newer cameras, despite the OS update, are only supported with Aperture 2. This is just not cricket, Apple. Sort out your act!
I can understand old software not supporting all new hardware, but Aperture 1.5.x is not old. Good job I haven't got that D300 yet...

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Hmmm, suffering the same problem with a G9. RAW files can now be opened in the Finder etc but not with Aperture. Was contemplating going to Aperture 2 anyway for the UI enhancements (I'm not a bit fan of Aperture at the mo), but not because of this reason. Seems the newer cameras, despite the OS update, are only supported with Aperture 2. This is just not cricket, Apple. Sort out your act!
I can understand old software not supporting all new hardware, but Aperture 1.5.x is not old. Good job I haven't got that D300 yet...

Now this I can understand. Apple should have made the new RAW support backwards compatible with the old Aperture. Hopefully, (as we usually do with Apple) they will come out with an update to AP 1.5 so that the previous owners of the app can use their new cameras.

I myself bought Aperture when I was still a student, and the half price was a steal, now I can grab the full version (as I was going to do when it was $300) for only $200.

Haven't gotten the D300 yet either. I am not really waiting to see if there is a problem with it, just haven't reached the time for my personal/freelance capital purchase. The 17" MBP (updated hopefully) new glass, and either a D300 system or $2000 worth of HDDs, memory cards/readers, etc.

ocbo41

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
Aperture 1.5 wont open any raw files from those added to the 10.5.2 update. I agree those last updates to the raw converter in 10.5 should be included in a patch for Aperture 1.5 as those cameras where released before Aperture 2 came into the picture.

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Dude, i know, its pretty sad.
I have a GX-1S, and it wont handle RAW from this cam either :S
And it says it will read the lower end, GX-1L raw, i thought they were the same RAW thoguh:confused:

I have to look at all my RAW photos in PS, and it takes a lot of time to sort through them, Its because of this i try to stay away from RAW in most cases.

Both iPhoto, and Aperture wont read my cams raw. ty PS though, other wise id be stuck!

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
I'm currently running A 2.0 upgraded from 1.5

I used to recommend Aperture until I got my D300 and had to get 2.0 (I'm used to the workflow).

Now, I'm starting to feel anxious. After waiting so long for the Mac Pro update, and how Apple STILL doesn't have a FCS path for me to deliver HD footage on Blu-Ray (even though they were so supportive of BR), and this Aperture issue... these all affect me

Apple is very much a consumer company with prosumer and professional needs taking 2nd tier to iPods and iPhones.

That's okay. They're looking to make money.

If any new options pop up that are better than what Apple has to offer, I'll jump ship in a heartbeat. Cost isn't an issue. Support for our needs and reliability are.

The scales have been slowly (recently faster) tipping Apple's software advantage toward almost level with PC offerings.

Not quite there yet, but I'm keeping my options open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.