Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Having used Aperture for just under a year or so I am growing increasingly annoyed with it's performance on my Powermac with over 50000 photos (about 7000 are RAW). Its almost taking the fun of post processing out of it for me :(

Now with Lightroom shipping I am considering taking advantage of the cheap introductary price tag and picking it up. However, how much of a ball ache is it going to be swapping photos from Aperture to lightroom...? Has anyone had any experience doing this yet? I know Aperture has a fairly unique file structure.....

Thanks for any help

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Aperture can export all your images along with XMP sidecar files that should preserve all your metadata. I assume Lightroom can import this.

It might be worth trying a small subset of your photos, and taking advantage of Lightroom's free trial for a week or so to see what you think. When I tried out Lightroom, I tended to get annoyed with its less-than-intuitive (IMHO) interface for a lot of things; so I've stuck with Aperture.

Since Aperture also offers a 30-day free trial, I'd make the same argument if someone were looking to shift the other way as well. :)

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Aperture can export all your images along with XMP sidecar files that should preserve all your metadata. I assume Lightroom can import this.

It might be worth trying a small subset of your photos, and taking advantage of Lightroom's free trial for a week or so to see what you think. When I tried out Lightroom, I tended to get annoyed with its less-than-intuitive (IMHO) interface for a lot of things; so I've stuck with Aperture.

Since Aperture also offers a 30-day free trial, I'd make the same argument if someone were looking to shift the other way as well. :)

Thanks for that :) I tried the very first couple of Betas and did enjoy it despite MUCH prefering the Aperture interface :)

I will give the trial another go and see what I think then.

andysc

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2006
Orange County, CA
I actually prefer Lightroom's UI. Seems easier to navigate and much cleaner than Aperture. Also, the RAW image processing is much more efficient in Lightroom. Hopefully Apple will make some improvements to Aperture soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.