Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ammon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
Colorado
I've been playing around with these three trying to decide which one I should purchase.

What have been your thoughts/experiences with each?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
ammon said:
I've been playing around with these three trying to decide which one I should purchase.

What have been your thoughts/experiences with each?

Which to get depends on what you want to do with the images and a little but on which camera you have.

You will likely want an image editor too. Something like Photoshop or Gimp and which of these yu get might influence the above three.

I'm guessing the Adobe just might include Lightroom in CS3 when it comes out some time in 2007. But right now Gimp run native on Intel while PS needs Roseta.

Before anyone can help you make a selection you need to tell us why you don't like iPhoto. Yes you might have good reason not to like it but knowing why wuld be informative.

ammon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
Colorado
I have the Canon Rebel XT and Photoshop CS2. I don't really care for iPhoto because it doesn't do what I need it to do with RAW files.

When I do a shot it is nice to group similar pictures together and switch back and forth between a few of them to pick which one I like best.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
I will preface this by saying that I drink the Apple koolaid. But, I absolutely love Aperture. It runs really well on my intel imac. Nice and speedy and zero crashes of any kind.

I have a friend that prefers Lightroom though. Different strokes for different folks.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Big thumbs up for Aperture, but only if you have the hardware. You need at least a G5 or an intel Mac. It won't run on less than 1GB of RAM either.

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
I currently use Aperture and like it. Need to play with it more though. Hoping Lightroom includes dual screen support very soon though. I want to like lightroom since it feels sooo much quicker than Aperture and is a lot more apeasing. Also I'm sure Adobe will make Lightroom as seamless with PS as it humanly possible which is always a plus. Only time will tell though. If Lightroom delivers i have no probs owning 2 raw apps.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I was using apeture and liked it a lot. but now i have a macbook and a g5. Apeture will not run on a macbook due to resolution. This is the stupidest thing i think i've ever heard of, because now i'll be switching to lightroom, because i want to use one, not two programs. Essentially their own product, causes you to switch to a competitors software, for ease of use. go figure.

mlrproducts

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2004
carletonmusic said:
Big thumbs up for Aperture, but only if you have the hardware. You need at least a G5 or an intel Mac. It won't run on less than 1GB of RAM either.

Not true. I have it running on my 1.5ghz core solo mini with 2x256. It does show a box when it starts up saying "You don't have the requirements met" or something like that. I click "OK" and it just loads up as normal.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
mashinhead said:
I was using apeture and liked it a lot. but now i have a macbook and a g5. Apeture will not run on a macbook due to resolution. This is the stupidest thing i think i've ever heard of, because now i'll be switching to lightroom, because i want to use one, not two programs. Essentially their own product, causes you to switch to a competitors software, for ease of use. go figure.

You can use it on a macbook, just acknowledge the message and then Aperture opens.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
ammon said:
I have the Canon Rebel XT and Photoshop CS2. I don't really care for iPhoto because it doesn't do what I need it to do with RAW files..

If you don't like iPhoto's treatment of RAW files then remeber that the RAW to JPG conersion is handled by Core Image which is distributed with Mac OSX. In other words iPhoto and Aperture share the same RAW conversion software. Of course the user interfaces are not the same but under the hood it's the same engine.

So now you have to decides what about iPhoto's handling of RAW you don't like. If it is the quality of the result or the user controls.

If you said you used Nikon then I'd refer you to "NX" which really appears to be a great application (Or will be once they make a UB version) but if you don't like Apple's RAW conversions then you would want to go with Adobe

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Apparently it's been around for a long time, but I have never heard of anyone using Photo Mechanic (besides the OP, obviously). Does anyone? What is it good for?

triotary

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2005
Is Aperture a hop up version of iphoto? like a iphoto could handle and edit raw files or just handle raw files?

I only used PS CS2 to handle all my raw files.

genehack

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2004
Since no one answers You properly.

Buy PhotoMechanic.

This thing is the bomb.
Super ,super superfast.
Doesn´t create it´s own library.

Absolutely self explanatory.

Since they put their money into developement instead of loudspeaking,
almost no one except some pros and big image banks know of it.

HD303

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
Observatory Park
Can someone please enlighten me about Lighroom. I downloaded the beta version, and I'm confused what the purpose of this software is. It seems that everything lightroom does, I can do with photoshop or am I missing something here?

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
HD303 said:
Can someone please enlighten me about Lighroom. I downloaded the beta version, and I'm confused what the purpose of this software is. It seems that everything lightroom does, I can do with photoshop or am I missing something here?
You are missing something here. :)

Spend more than 30 seconds with Lightroom and you will begin to understand its purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.