Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheKnifeFight

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Socal
$300 is a lot of cash to throw down on software. I'm willing to do it but I want to make sure I pick the right one. I currently own a Canon XSi and would consider myself a beginner in the DSLR world. I'd just like something to edit photos w/ some effects, ability to resize batches, and create online albums. I'm sure either one would be sufficient but perhaps one is easier/better.

Is there a clear winner in this software category between the to aforementioned titles? Student discounts to be had..although I recently graduated in the spring. :eek:

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
Also, you can download free full function 30 day trials of each one... should be pretty easy to determine which one works the best for you...

frogger2020

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
Lightroom 2.0 is only $99 with the student discount if you purchase through the Adobe online store.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
....I'd just like something to edit photos w/ some effects, ability to resize batches, and create online albums...

If that is what you want then why not use iPhoto? OK maybe you have some good reasons but if we knew why you don't like iPhoto then we might know which program you would like. iPhoto and Aperture are in some ways alike.

I always tell people to stick with iPhoto until they have a good reason to go with something else.

People have pointed out that you can download each program and use it for free for 30 days. Yes, do that but be warned, each one has a steep learning curve and it will take a full 30 days to come up to speed, set aside a few hours at least a few days a week during that 30 day period. 30 Days is really not enough time to learn the software unless you work hard at it.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
really? I'd say you can get more out of lightroom than iphoto has to offer in a week of using it. aperture does have a steeper learning curve. lightroom has a lot of 'power user' shortcuts that take longer to master, but if you wanted to do all the things you do in iphoto, it's just a weekend of really sitting down and learning the structure. If you're clueless about photography, then spending 300 bucks on one of these apps is overkill, though. Here's a good question to ask yourself: do you plan on shooting raw? if so, you're beyond iphoto, and there is no reason to live with iphotos quirks and limitations. If you like to be in control of your files and where they are stored, how they are named, etc, then lightroom is more what you're looking for. Aperture and to a greater degree iphoto, sort of make a mess of your files. Within the applications you will find that they are well organized, but if you try to access the stuff in the catalogs without Apple software, oh boy, good luck. You can have lightroom just stick all your digital negatives (or jpgs if you have those) in a folder called "my photos" and let it go. Any time you want to get one from a non-apple application, you can. It's just a different way to do things.

That said, aperture has some really great features that lightroom doesn't do as well. especially for pro photographers who shoot a LOT of images all at once. I would download the trials. Actually, i'd take 500 photos that you've got and put them in iphoto. Work with them as a sample set. Then a week later do the same thing with Lightroom. Third, spend a week with aperture's trial.

you will know in 3 weeks time which one is right for you. Don't invest 6 months into iphoto feeling like you maybe just don't know how to do some hidden advanced function that you'd like to do. If you can't figure it out in a week, it's probably not there.

my 7 cents.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
...Don't invest 6 months into iphoto feeling like you maybe just don't know how to do some hidden advanced function that you'd like to do. If you can't figure it out in a week, it's probably not there.

I agree 100%. My comment "Why not iPhoto?" was a real question. Can you list several reasons not to use iPhoto? Write down those reasons and the list will tell you what you do want. If you can't make a written list then maybe iPhoto is for you.

For example, one person said he disliked iPhoto because it uses, meta data tags, and a database/library to store images. He just wanted to keep image files in finder folders, double click an image and have it come up in an editor. If that is you then Aperture is NOT you. Just pick up a copy a Adobe Photoshop Elements. But if like me you wanted more meta data and a more flexible and complex library then Aperture is it. If you like a structured workflow don't care for Apple's iLife and you are a big user of Adobe products then Lightroom is an easy choice.

You are not going to get anything but "generic advice" unless you can list out some likes and dislikes and say something about your preferences

When I moved from iPhoto to Aperture I had a whole list of reasons

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Both are great apps. Both offer great features and control over your images. I suggest you download both free trials and see for yourself. I've used both and ended up sticking with Light Room. I felt more comfortable in LR and it seemed to run a bit faster than Aperture.

Just try them both out for yourself. There's no reason not to when both offer trials.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.