Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
some photos that i have, have this "red markings". and i don't think it is blood :-D

what does that mean? how can i repair my pictures?

sorry if this thread is in the wrong forum.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 105

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
some photos that i have, have this "red markings". and i don't think it is blood :-D

what does that mean? how can i repair my pictures?

sorry if this thread is in the wrong forum.

those are highlights for hot spots ... aka too-bright-spots

View - Highlight Hot Areas, or Alt-Shift-H to enable/disable it.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Are you shooting RAW using a camera that is not listed on the Aperture list? I suspect so (although you might not be) as it appears that Aperture is misunderstanding the file...

Edit to add: the above answer makes more sense!

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
actually, i should retouch photos for "customers" and i am not sure if they use aperture compatible cameras.

some pictures are .jpgs.

ok. now that i know i got "too-bright spots". it does not seem to bright for me on the displays. can i repair the pictures in aperture? this "too-bright spots" is only relevant when printing pictures, right?

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Aperure will have no problem reading jpegs from any camera... it's the camera specific RAW files that it needs to support. If you do try and import non-compatible RAW files the entire image is red and it tells you that it's not supported. Trust me, I know ;)

Coheebuzz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2005
Nicosia, Cyprus
ok. now that i know i got "too-bright spots". it does not seem to bright for me on the displays. can i repair the pictures in aperture? this "too-bright spots" is only relevant when printing pictures, right?

I assume you mean how can you tone down the actual highlights in the photos, not the red markings right?

First of all that photo doesn't seem to suffer too much, the exposure seems fine. If you look at the markings they are not really concentrated - except from the waves but that's ok it's not the main element - so the affected areas won't show as a bright white patch on the monitor or paper.

Now if you ever need to bring down the highlights in any of your shots you can use levels or curves in Aperture or Photoshop and bring down the highlights. Also there is a great new slider in PS's RAW called 'Recovery' which will bring some information back from overblown highlights.
But don't expect wonders on really over-exposed shots as the information isn't there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.