Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
I just got a Nikon D40 and Aperture says it supports the camera's raw files. But when I import them, it says unsupported image format? iPhoto reads them, and so does the nikon software. How do I make Aperture read them? Thanks for any help!

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
I restarted my computer and it suddenly started working!! I don't know why? I usually never restart, but I did for some reason. Maybe it's because I never used RAW before and it need a restart?

macpluslaptop

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I just got a Nikon D40 and Aperture says it supports the camera's raw files. But when I import them, it says unsupported image format? iPhoto reads them, and so does the nikon software. How do I make Aperture read them? Thanks for any help!

So do you like Aperture? What else have you used? Nikon's own Capture NX? Lightroom? I'm trying to decide myself...

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
So do you like Aperture? What else have you used? Nikon's own Capture NX? Lightroom? I'm trying to decide myself...

I love Aperture. I have never used lightroom, but in all the things i've read, it seems like Aperture is better. Plus it has built in integration into iPhoto, which is great if you wanna do things like share between librarys or do a photocast. I have not used nikons software yet. I just loaded it on my computer today.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

Just try them all. You should be able to get your hands on a trial of Aperture/Lightroom. Not sure about Capture NX though. As the OP said, he/she hasn't tried Lightroom, so try it for yourself and see if you like it.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
You can find trials of Capture NX online fairly easily, I believe.

I prefer Capture NX. It's a little clunky, but it reads "extra" info from Nikon cameras, i.e., saturation and sharpness in-camera settings, whereas Aperture etc just read the base RAW file.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
You can find trials of Capture NX online fairly easily, I believe.

I prefer Capture NX. It's a little clunky, but it reads "extra" info from Nikon cameras, i.e., saturation and sharpness in-camera settings, whereas Aperture etc just read the base RAW file.

Do you mean that Aperture isn't importing your RAW file plus your JPEG when shooting both? The info you describe (saturation set in-camera) would apply to JPEGs but not to the RAW file. If you're shooting both at the same time, I would think that they'd import together as two files as they do in iPhoto.

By the way Epicwelshman, I've enjoyed some of your shots in the picture of the day thread.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I restarted my computer and it suddenly started working!! I don't know why? I usually never restart, but I did for some reason. Maybe it's because I never used RAW before and it need a restart?

No, if you've been keeping your computer up-to-date then there's no good reason for this happening. However, odd things do occasionally happen with computers - even Macs.

The only thing I can possibly think of is if you're an "uptime" junkie, and have installed updates but refused to reboot your computer. :D Otherwise, write it off as a hiccup.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
No, if you've been keeping your computer up-to-date then there's no good reason for this happening. However, odd things do occasionally happen with computers - even Macs.

The only thing I can possibly think of is if you're an "uptime" junkie, and have installed updates but refused to reboot your computer. :D Otherwise, write it off as a hiccup.

When every I do an update I do restart, but I have not restarted since the last update days ago. I will just have to write it off as a hiccup! I'm just glad it's working now!

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Do you mean that Aperture isn't importing your RAW file plus your JPEG when shooting both? The info you describe (saturation set in-camera) would apply to JPEGs but not to the RAW file. If you're shooting both at the same time, I would think that they'd import together as two files as they do in iPhoto.

By the way Epicwelshman, I've enjoyed some of your shots in the picture of the day thread.

Thanks so much, I appreciate it.

As for Aperture vs. CaptureNX. I remember reading somewhere that Capture NX can read the additional in-camera info for the RAW format. I.e., when I open my NEF files in Preview they look good, but when I open them in CaptureNX they're brighter, have more contrast, more saturation, and that's before editing. Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt of course, but that's my experience with the programs.

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
Aperture & Capture NX

Thanks so much, I appreciate it.

As for Aperture vs. CaptureNX. I remember reading somewhere that Capture NX can read the additional in-camera info for the RAW format. I.e., when I open my NEF files in Preview they look good, but when I open them in CaptureNX they're brighter, have more contrast, more saturation, and that's before editing. Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt of course, but that's my experience with the programs.

My workflow involves both Aperture and Capture NX. In my experience, the two apps don't go against each other, but work in tandem. I begin by uploading the photographs from my Nikon to Aperture. In Aperture, I review, compare, group, label, and select the photographs. Then, when I am ready, I move the choice photographs to Capture NX for all the PP work.

In my opinion, Capture NX is the best PP app. for Nikon cameras. I think that it goes beyond being able to just read the in-camera specific info. of Nikon cameras. It's also the best app. for processing the pics off of your Nikon. In many ways, it is a lot more efficient and practical than PhotoShop (though it would never replace PS for many other effects that you can achieve that go, strictly speaking, beyond photography).

My 2¢
;-)

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
My workflow involves both Aperture and Capture NX. In my experience, the two apps don't go against each other, but work in tandem. I begin by uploading the photographs from my Nikon to Aperture. In Aperture, I review, compare, group, label, and select the photographs. Then, when I am ready, I move the choice photographs to Capture NX for all the PP work.

In my opinion, Capture NX is the best PP app. for Nikon cameras. I think that it goes beyond being able to just read the in-camera specific info. of Nikon cameras. It's also the best app. for processing the pics off of your Nikon. In many ways, it is a lot more efficient and practical than PhotoShop (though it would never replace PS for many other effects that you can achieve that go, strictly speaking, beyond photography).

My 2¢
;-)

I liked Aperture a lot. Unfortunately my 1GB of RAM in my MacBook made using it fairly... tedious.

I've reverted back to manual files and folders. It can get a little confusing, but seeing as I'm doing amateur fine art photography, I don't exactly need to batch process 400 photos of a football game!

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I liked Aperture a lot. Unfortunately my 1GB of RAM in my MacBook made using it fairly... tedious.

I've reverted back to manual files and folders. It can get a little confusing, but seeing as I'm doing amateur fine art photography, I don't exactly need to batch process 400 photos of a football game!

Tried Lightroom Epicwelshmsn? :D

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Tried Lightroom Epicwelshmsn? :D

Oh I'm well aware of your passion for Lightroom M@lew. I have tried it actually, and I like the speed that it runs on my MB. I suppose I've never really used it as I shoot a few hundred shots a week, edit and save those separately, and then save (but forget) about the rest. I'm shooting new stuff all the time and rarely have a need to look through my RAW archives.

I'm also lazy and don't like change :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.