Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onespeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
I just bought a macbook pro and have a dell pc with photoshop on it. I use a canon 10mp slr and when uploading photos into pc with photoshop average file size is between 7mp-9mp using large jpeg fine settings. Why when I upload to macbook pro and aperture are my file sizes between 2mp-and 4mp? I am a little concerned because I do a lot of enlargements. Most of my finished file sizes in photoshop end up being around 12mp, after doing some layers. Any ideas i'm a litle stumped.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
First off, how are you seeing the size of your files. If you were actually exporting the master image out, that would be the only time you would actually see the size. Are you shooting in RAW (I'm assuming that's a yeas, given the size of your files). Do you see RAW adjustments in the adjustment HUD in Aperture? If not, it might be that you have shot in JPG.

Also, part of the problem with PS, is that throwing in layers ups your image size quite significantly. I'm interested to find out how you're saving your RAWs in PS. If you were doing them in tiff or psd, the files would be between 25-35 MB per, where as JPGs would be much smaller.

onespeed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
I stated in the first post these were all large jpeg fine files. Just worried the small sizes of the files will hinder large enlargements. Thanks for helping though

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
when uploading photos into pc with photoshop average file size is between 7mp-9mp using large jpeg fine settings. Why when I upload to macbook pro and aperture are my file sizes between 2mp-and 4mp?.

Just from your numbers it looks like those smaller files you are seeing are what Aperute calls "previews". When you import images one of the first things Aperture does is create screen sized preview JPG files that are about the size you describe (roughly 4x smaller)

Aperture of course also keep the original files and never modifies them.

So you will have to tell us how you got hold of these small files and what you are trying to do. Are you exporting from Aperture to the desktop? are you trying to edit them in Photoshop? If you are just viewing the files on screen then previews are a good thing because they are 4x faster.

BTW you can change the quality of these small files, 4X smaller JPG is just the default setting

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I stated in the first post these were all large jpeg fine files. Just worried the small sizes of the files will hinder large enlargements. Thanks for helping though

I'd be worried too if Aperture changed even on pixel in the imported file. Aperture's bigest feature is that it is non-destructive and never changes the master file. down sampling would be a huge departure from this and I doubt this is happening. I think you are measuring the size of the wrong file.

Please do not tell us you are looking inside the Apeture library with the finder. Don't do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.