Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
So, I've always been pretty critical of Aperture. I have used both LR and Aperture, and always preferred LR for two reasons (besides performance): Curves editing and split-toning. With Aperture 2.0, the app is now blazing fast and I love it. There is still no curves editing, but I've been told Levels can get you very similar adjustments. Well, I've been playing around with it and I just can't figure out how they work. What are the differences between adjusting the arrows on the top and bottom, or adding more of those arrows? Any explanation would be REALLY appreciated as I would like to switch over to Aperture (how about a split-toning adjustment tool in Aperture 2.5? :D)

redrabbit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Anyone? I always see tons of Aperture icon's in the desktop screenshot thread, so I assume *someone* actually knows how to use it.

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
Just use a good camera such as this...
disposable-camera.jpg

and you'll get 'em right the first time! :D

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I think levels really work on the fact that you have 3 sliders. Shadows, Midtones and Highlights. Then you have your Histogram. Then you drag the sliders towards peaks in the histogram to get the desired effect. That's the most basic run down I can give since I'm not totally 100% sure how to explain the whole thing but have a play around and maybe you'll pick it up.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
So, I've always been pretty critical of Aperture. I have used both LR and Aperture, and always preferred LR for two reasons (besides performance): Curves editing and split-toning. With Aperture 2.0, the app is now blazing fast and I love it. There is still no curves editing, but I've been told Levels can get you very similar adjustments. Well, I've been playing around with it and I just can't figure out how they work. What are the differences between adjusting the arrows on the top and bottom, or adding more of those arrows? Any explanation would be REALLY appreciated as I would like to switch over to Aperture (how about a split-toning adjustment tool in Aperture 2.5? :D)

Go here: http://www.apple.com/aperture/tutorials/

and click on "setting levels" and "setting advanced levels"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.