Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you hide your old home screens full of junk, or move all of those unneeded apps to the Library?

• Hid my screens for now, but going to go through and move to library eventually.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
Which have you found yourself using more so far? I can't really find much of a use for hiding home screens, when you can just move an app entirely being "library view only." Initially, I planned to keep everything on home screens - but hidden - for the sake of being able to quickly take stock of what I have and purge as needed over time. Buuuut I gave up on that quickly - App Library is basically out of sight, out of mind, and it's easy enough to delete something straight from it if you notice later that you don't need it.

I find it interesting that Apple, restrictive as they often are (can't default to alphabetical view in Library, or customize the folders, for example) went above and beyond and allowed hidden home screens on top of just moving apps to the Library only. Maybe I'm missing something!

Reactions: compwiz1202

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I’m sure there will be improvements to the App Library on future updates. Like customizing the names of the folders in the library etc

Reactions: blairh

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I've moved most of my apps to the library and now use my home screen for a widget or two with my most used apps. I'm actually starting to use the pull down from top, type a few letters - to run most of my apps now. :/ lol.

Pre iOS 14 - I had almost every space on my 1 page home screen as folders - loaded. I don't mind the library screen but I've found pulling down from top and using search is ... a lot faster... usually.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Call me weird, but I just use my phone "the old way" and don't bother looking at the library.
Pretty much the same here. Haven't added any widgets to any home screens either (at least so far) and continue using them on the Today View.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don’t use the App Library at all and wish you could disable it. Still using folders that I’ve become used to using and the pull down search bar.

I’d rather have apps filed in categories that suit me rather than the developers.

Reactions: dontwalkhand

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
Prior to this update I had started using search to find apps so continue to do that a lot. At first I hid home screens, wasn't really sure if there was any difference to moving the app to library besides the time it would take. Got bored one day and moved them all to the library so no hidden screens. App library needs some work and some optional customization but I like it, and much prefer the "folder" structure of app library to home screen folders. The apps I use consistently (except games which are all app library- one of the few categories that makes sense) are on my 2 home screens along with a couple of folders for most used utilities and finance so I can easily check/pay my bills.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I haven't done anything yet but when I have some time to redo my home screen all the apps I use once a month are going to the app library for sure and then I'll probably end up finding them through search.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I used to have four folders at the bottom of my screen and those held all of my apps. Each folder had a designation like utilities, social, entertainment, games. Now I ditched those for the library for now. For some apps it’s a little quicker until I remember what went where. At the bottom of my screen I now just have iMessage, phone, FaceTime and safari. Not in that order lol..

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
I've moved most of my apps to the library and now use my home screen for a widget or two with my most used apps. I'm actually starting to use the pull down from top, type a few letters - to run most of my apps now. :/ lol.

Pre iOS 14 - I had almost every space on my 1 page home screen as folders - loaded. I don't mind the library screen but I've found pulling down from top and using search is ... a lot faster... usually.

This was my situation exactly. I almost never actually pulled down and started typing to search, but have found it to be way faster than swiping through page after page in a folder.
[automerge]1600988577[/automerge]
I don’t use the App Library at all and wish you could disable it. Still using folders that I’ve become used to using and the pull down search bar.

I’d rather have apps filed in categories that suit me rather than the developers.

I agree about the Siri suggestions and dev categories - I haven't used that screen at all yet. When I say App Library, I'm mostly talking about the alphabetical view. Here's hoping custom folders/categories are added down the road or in iOS 15.

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
Prior to this update I had started using search to find apps so continue to do that a lot. At first I hid home screens, wasn't really sure if there was any difference to moving the app to library besides the time it would take. Got bored one day and moved them all to the library so no hidden screens. App library needs some work and some optional customization but I like it, and much prefer the "folder" structure of app library to home screen folders. The apps I use consistently (except games which are all app library- one of the few categories that makes sense) are on my 2 home screens along with a couple of folders for most used utilities and finance so I can easily check/pay my bills.

Yeah, that's kinda my theory as to why they added the hidden home screens feature. It's kind of a half step to see if you like the app library only life and then you can revert it easily if not. I guess you could also get creative with it, and have a hidden home screen for commonly used apps while traveling or something that you could unhide for a couple days if needed.

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018

Exactly how I have found myself using my phone now.

So much quicker and easier.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I kept my first two pages and hid the rest. I like the App Library and don't care how it organizes it. For the categories I care about I made my own folders on the the first 1-2 pages. I launch many of my apps by using search.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.