Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'm working with a collaborator who recently switched from Windows to an iPad Pro for art, and largely it's working out very well. With one very notable exception, that I'm trying to figure out the cause of.

Situation: App is Clip Studio Paint EX (subscription version). Files are stored in an iCloud shared drive synced to the iPad and several other computers, but only the iPad is making any changes. Open an in-progress document, make some edits, save it, close it. There are no errors, so it appears that the save was successful. Later, go back and open the document, and the most recent round of changes are not present.

Possible factor: The internet connection the iPad is using is somewhat flaky. Generally, however, synchronization is working fine.

I do not know whether the cause is iCloud in general, iCloud shared folders specifically, Clip Studio Paint EX, or maybe even some issue with the iPad itself.

This is incredibly frustrating, of course, but it's also weirding me out because I can't seem to replicate it on a different iOS device, and it goes completely against my experiences with how iCloud works. What I expect is that, even if there's no internet connection when a file is edited, it will eventually synchronize once a connection is available. I've edited documents offline and this was always how it worked. In the event a version conflict did occur (which is impossible here since the iPad is the only device writing to the file, all other computers are read-only), iCloud should throw an error and tell you this rather than overwriting.

The next step we're going to try is switching to local storage to see if it's iCloud that's causing the problem, or if it's CSP itself.

Suggestions? Anybody had something like this happen with other apps? Problems with CSP? Suggestions of things to try?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.