Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would buying off of the App Store over Steam (or any other) solve the issue of game overheating?

• Yes

• No

• No difference (not relevant)

• Possibly something else like the Graphics card?

• Try some other store, recommendations?

Results are only viewable after voting.

hje

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2017
Perth
Hi guys!

I want to know if I buy, say Tomb Raider or Mafia 2 (or any other compatible game on my MacBook Air) through the App Store and not through Steam or MacGameStore. Will it run like Borderlands 2 which I bought through the App Store and runs without a hitch, as in the fans don't go mad loud and my MacBook gets hot as hell.

Ironically, the spec requirement for Borderlands 2 is also higher than the games that I am running now and my MacBook goes into this 'intense mode' of heating up when I play Batman Arkham City. The Batman game I bought off of Steam and Borderland game off of the App Store. So, would buying off of the App Store solve the issue?

Thanks!
[doublepost=1502342183][/doublepost]I also know that my mac has turbo boost.

Attachments

• Tomb Raider.png
    Tomb Raider.png
    75.5 KB · Views: 243
  • Batman Arkham City.png
    Batman Arkham City.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 201
  • Borderlands 2.png
    Borderlands 2.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 165
  • Mafia 2.png
    Mafia 2.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 190

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
Buying the same game from different stores solving issues (Which issues?)? That would be a first. A MacBook Air isn't made for gaming. An Intel HD xxxx graphics unit is extremly weak and of course your MacBook will heat up and the fans will run at maximum speed. Either play games on a PC or buy a console to "solve" the issue.

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
The Steam overlay might add a bit of extra overhead but otherwise the source doesn't matter. If a game needs to run cooler you'll likely get better results by lowering settings or switching from full screen to windowed (Ie. Avernum 6 inexplicably runs much cooler on my Air in windowed. No clue why.)

Otherwise use headphones to drown out the fans.

Reactions: hje
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.