Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Is there an app that supports native airplay of photos, besides the standard Apple Photos app?

Most apps support only mirrored airplay. The disadvantage is that photos are displayed in a smaller size. I had an app that supported native airplay, but it seems that Apple changed something in airplay in iOS 11.

Apple Photos is not an option for me because I want to stream photos from my NAS.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Have you considered Plex?

You could add your photos to it and stream them natively on your Apple TV, or Television/Xbox/PlayStation without worrying about AirPlay.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Have you considered Plex?

You could add your photos to it and stream them natively on your Apple TV, or Television/Xbox/PlayStation without worrying about AirPlay.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Alas my Apple TV is too old for Plex. My Samsung TV is 9 years old, I'll check out if Plex is possible.

The thing is, before iOS 11 I had native airplay in one or two apps. Something has changed, and I am hoping to find an app that still does native airplay.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Obviously I don’t know which ATV you have, but there is, or at least was - don’t know if it still works - a way to get Plex even on ATV 2 or ATV 3.

If you’re interested in giving it a go have a look here or do a search for another tutorial.

I used to use it on my ATV 3 before I upgraded, worked perfectly at the time.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Obviously I don’t know which ATV you have, but there is, or at least was - don’t know if it still works - a way to get Plex even on ATV 2 or ATV 3.

If you’re interested in giving it a go have a look here or do a search for another tutorial.

I used to use it on my ATV 3 before I upgraded, worked perfectly at the time.

I will check that out, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.