Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaboomer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Hi -

I have a single Samsung 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) connected via HDMI to my M1 Mac Mini 2020 running Big Sur 11.2.3.

I've got my computer set to never sleep, but the display sleeps after 30 minutes, and when I wake it back up, I often find that app windows are not where i left them. Which makes me a little insane. Anyone know why this would be, and/or how to fix it?

Couple of things that might be relevant, i don't know...

- I'm using Mission Control and bouncing back & forth between 4 different Spaces
- Though this Mac has only even known this monitor, its predecessor (which I cloned this Mac from) used to be connected to a much smaller monitor - maybe the new machine still has some ancient ancestral memory of where it thinks windows are supposed to go? idk

Thx!

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
It's almost as if, when the display wakes, it is reporting the wrong geometry/resolution to the mac.

In system preferences, does the default resolution for the display agree with the monitor's resolution?

kaboomer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
It's almost as if, when the display wakes, it is reporting the wrong geometry/resolution to the mac.

In system preferences, does the default resolution for the display agree with the monitor's resolution?
thx! Yes, I think it does - here's a screenshot

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 2.52.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 2.52.13 PM.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 83

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
If you select "Scaled", you'll see a list of resolutions to choose from. The one that will already be selected should be the one that is the default for the display. If you do that, what does it say? Is it the resolution you expect?

kaboomer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
If you select "Scaled", you'll see a list of resolutions to choose from. The one that will already be selected should be the one that is the default for the display. If you do that, what does it say? Is it the resolution you expect?
yes it is: 3440x1440

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
My brilliance is almost tapped out.

What about leaving the setting on scaled and set to that resolution. Does the problem reoccur after the monitor wakes with that setting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.