Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
So I’m on T-Mobile. If I were to buy a T-Mobile 12 Mini direct through Apple for $699 does T-Mobile now hit my account with an activation fee? TIA!

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
So I’m on T-Mobile. If I were to buy a T-Mobile 12 Mini direct through Apple for $699 does T-Mobile now hit my account with an activation fee? TIA!
While I’m not familiar with T-Mobile, AT&T hit me with a $30 activation fee which I disputed through their website and they issued a credit. I wouldn’t be surprised if T-Mobile wouldn’t do the same. They know it’s a BS charge and most people won’t complain.
Use the sim you already have
You may not get 5G with an old SIM.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
While I’m not familiar with T-Mobile, AT&T hit me with a $30 activation fee which I disputed through their website and they issued a credit. I wouldn’t be surprised if T-Mobile wouldn’t do the same. They know it’s a BS charge and most people won’t complain.

You also wouldn’t get the $30 carrier discount by going SIM-free.

Reactions: joshwithachance

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Like you've been told, just buy the sim free version from Apple. However, you might have to get a new sim in order to receive 5G. I'm not sure if T-Mobile will charge you for a new sim.

You might get a better deal if you buy direct from T-Mobile. Check prices and ask about 5G connectivity.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009

I get 5g with a T-Mobile sim from 1/2017

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.