Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shnn2011

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
Just wondering if anybody had ever experienced this type of problem:

I purchased a fully loaded MAC 15" mid 2012 directly from the Apple Store

I also purchased Apple Care

I have never sent my laptop in for any kind or repair

After I called in to request a repair and or unit swap due to repeated issues with stuck pixels and other issues with the LCD panel. . . (Still under Apple Care) Apple is denying my repair because they claim that I replaced the Logic Board, The Optical Drive, and the Battery with aftermarket components.

I have never sent my laptop in for any kind or repair, yet they claim it was shipped to their "Depo"

Prior to this, I was denied phone tech support because supposedly "Your Mac has used caused damage!" that was detected by one of our technicians, even though my Mac has never needed service.

Prior to that, when I would call Apple Care, the serial number of my Mac was not listed under my name . . .

I am very upset, and I don't know what I am supposed to do, or who to talk to.

It is very insulting that I have purchased thousands of dollars worth of Apple Computers and accessories, and I am being treated like this. Like my word is no good!

I was told by a customer relations representative that I should go have an Apple Tech look at my laptop and verify that the components are original and will be doing so.

I simply feel like I am being made to jump through hoops to prove my honesty and I do not like that. Why would anyone accuse a genuine loyal customer of such an unreasonable, and unfeasible action?

It is funny how the software reports all the correct serial numbers . . .

Who in their right mind would even repair a laptop and send it in to the "Depo" for warranty repair?

What would you guys do?

What do you guys think is happening?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks guys
I will keep you updated.

Update:

I took my Laptop to Apple and they notated that it was in pristine condition, and all original.

It seems that there is somebody using my Mac's serial number to do repairs and ask for tech support from Apple.

Additionally, Mr. Cook's office contacted me and I informed them of potential fraud.

My assumption is that a Certified Apple repair shop is generating and using valid Apple Care serial numbers to do repairs and pocket the money.

Hopefully they will be able to find out who it was and put a stop to it, especially if this is a wide spread think costing the company countless dollars.

Last edited:

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Probably just a registration and software glitch that has incorrectly messed up your serial number for their records or someone at apple used your serial number at random to service someone elses mac and now you are the one that looks like you are trying to scam them. If you go into the store and they can take a look that everything is as it should be you should be all good.

shnn2011

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
Probably just a registration and software glitch that has incorrectly messed up your serial number for their records or someone at apple used your serial number at random to service someone elses mac and now you are the one that looks like you are trying to scam them. If you go into the store and they can take a look that everything is as it should be you should be all good.

Thanks for your response.

I certainly hope so, I just feel insulted that I would be made to do all of that to prove myself, especially when the software reports all the correct serial numbers.

Could you imagine how much it would cost to replace all of those components, and then rewrite the ROM to report the serial number of the previous parts?

I would probably have spent enough time and money to purchase 5 new units for that.

I just wrote Mr.Tim Cook an email explaining the scenario and how it is making me feel.
I hope that this is not happening to others, if so maybe they can look at what is going on and correct it.
Given the nature of Apple Care the product serial number seems like a social security number for the Laptop and may need higher security.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Did Apple actually look inside your MBPro?
Or, are they refusing you service only because of what they find in their records?
If all those parts have been replaced, and with non-Apple parts, it should be obvious when someone takes the bottom cover off for a quick inspection.
You claim that you have never had parts replaced.
If yours has never been in for any kind of service, then it should be easy to check that out.
Ask them to inspect your MBPro.
I have never had any parts replaced.
You say that is not true. I know better.
Do you have anyone who can look inside my MacBook Pro? It should be easy to see that the parts are original.

shnn2011

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
Did Apple actually look inside your MBPro?
Or, are they refusing you service only because of what they find in their records?
If all those parts have been replaced, and with non-Apple parts, it should be obvious when someone takes the bottom cover off for a quick inspection.
You claim that you have never had parts replaced.
If yours has never been in for any kind of service, then it should be easy to check that out.
Ask them to inspect your MBPro.

They are stating all of this simply based on what their records say. They say that their records state that at some point the laptop was shipped to their "Depo"

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You will be able to show that your laptop was not repaired by Apple. It will be obvious by a simple inspection after removing the bottom cover.
It's likely that there is a situation with two Macs with the same serial number. Apple will get to sort this out.
If you still have the original paperwork, showing the shipped serial number, and also showing that you purchased AppleCare, again with that same serial number, then Apple should be able to sort that out. Again, letting Apple inspect your MBPro will do the trick.
That will mean that you will need to take your MBPro to Apple, if you still want their help.
( The word "depot" has a silent "t". That's the central repair centre that Apple uses for many repairs, particularly for laptops. There are several located around the world. )

shnn2011

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
You will be able to show that your laptop was not repaired by Apple. It will be obvious by a simple inspection after removing the bottom cover.
It's likely that there is a situation with two Macs with the same serial number. Apple will get to sort this out.
If you still have the original paperwork, showing the shipped serial number, and also showing that you purchased AppleCare, again with that same serial number, then Apple should be able to sort that out. Again, letting Apple inspect your MBPro will do the trick.
That will mean that you will need to take your MBPro to Apple, if you still want their help.
( The word "depot" has a silent "t". That's the central repair centre that Apple uses for many repairs, particularly for laptops. There are several located around the world. )

Thanks, I don't know if I still have the receipt, I do have the box and the little white box with the Red Apple on it containing the CD for Apple Care.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Thanks, I don't know if I still have the receipt, I do have the box and the little white box with the Red Apple on it containing the CD for Apple Care.
The important items would be anything that show the serial number for your MBPro. That would be on the edge of the box.
But, the "killer" would be the MBPro itself. It has a serial number on the bottom, and letting the Apple Store open the case to inspect, which SHOULD help your side of the discussion.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
If the only way that you have communicated the serial # to Apple is via your inspection of the serial #, it could just be a misreading of the serial #, somebody mis-hearing the serial #, etc. I have had this happen - taking it in to Apple will hopefully get it sorted out.

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO

What would you guys do?

I was told by a customer relations representative that I should go have an Apple Tech look at my laptop and verify that the components are original and will be doing so.

^ I would do that.

I know your situation sucks and is very frustrating, but the customer relations rep gave you your best solution. Go in and discuss the issue with an Apple Tech in person and let them inspect the computer. If what you are saying is true, they will find that all the parts in your laptop are original and they can reinstate your warranty and perform whatever work is required to get your laptop functioning as it should.

However, if you are being dishonest with Apple (and with us) this will just solidify what Apple has been saying all along.

I certainly hope so, I just feel insulted that I would be made to do all of that to prove myself, especially when the software reports all the correct serial numbers.

...snipped...

I just wrote Mr.Tim Cook an email explaining the scenario and how it is making me feel.

I get that, but the reason why this is happening is because Apple has been scammed like this before, by other customers. It sucks but the reality is that it only takes a few dishonest people to ruin it for everyone else.

It sucks, but writing emails to people to explain your feelings isn't going to get you anywhere. I mean this in the best way possible, but you really gotta toughen up, head into the Apple Store and get this resolved. If your parts really are original you need to just be stern about it and make them prove whether their claims are true or false.

Last edited:

shnn2011

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
Update:

I took my Laptop to Apple and they notated that it was in pristine condition, and all original.

It seems that there is somebody using my Mac's serial number to do repairs and ask for tech support from Apple.

Additionally, Mr. Cook's office contacted me and I informed them of potential fraud.

My assumption is that a Certified Apple repair shop is generating and using valid Apple Care serial numbers to do repairs and pocket the money.

Hopefully they will be able to find out who it was and put a stop to it, especially if this is a wide spread think costing the company countless dollars.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Apple should be able to track who serviced the computer. They track the part serial numbers through the system that AASP's use for repairs so I can't see why they wouldn't be able to see who registered a repair against your serial.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
@shnn2011

Did you look in your Support Profile if your Mac is registered there? If it's not showing up there, you could try to fill in the serial number and get an error message when it has been registered on a different Apple-ID.

https://supportprofile.apple.com/

When I bought used Macs or iPhones on eBay and the pre-owner forgot to delete it there, I only had to call Apple to put it in mine. They just asked me a few questions to identify myself.
I was really surprised that it is so easy. You just need the serial number to make it your "own". They did not even ask me if I have any invoice and/or know the original date of purchase or the pre-owners name.

I wonder if those people on the Apple support hotline are really allowed to do this.

Some people post screenshots without hiding their serial number in forums or when selling it. Also everyone in the supplier chain can see it, even the postman can see it on the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.